homemade compost...what ya think?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by richirich_99, Aug 22, 2008.

1. I was thinking about starting my own compost bin using leftover scrapes of food and things to use for planting my clones in once they root. Is this a good idea, and what kind of thing would i want to add to it to supply all the nutirients? I know egg shells are high in N, but not sure about anything else. Anyone try this or think it could be good for the plants? Im trying to make use out of as much of the things i use everyday, and would love to be able to not only grow my own weed, but also make my own organic comost. Thanks guys!

2. Don't use just any food scraps.

Most people I know use

Egg shells (one guy uses the whole egg, but I dunno bout that)
    Orange peels
    Banana Peels
    and used Coffee beans (the gunk you throw out after you make your coffee in the morn, very high in N)

I dunno of any others off the top of my head, I'm sure some of the more experienced growers here can help you out better :smoke:

3. Usally any vegtable matter will be fine, carrot peels, potatoe peels, letuce and such r good sources of nutrients.

4. Just be careful and watch for bugs. I did this on my first grow, and there were lots of critters crawling in my soil.

5. I think i'll try this, and to watch out for bugs, i'll just cook it in the oven for a few minutes before i use it. Thanks guys! so with doing this, will i not need to add any nutes thru the grow, or will i need to after a few weeks?