Homemade bong (questions and soon some milkshots)

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by danieletn, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Hi guys,
    I was thinking about building a nice bong, quite big and made mostly of GLASS.
    I have already found 2 glass vases to make the bong itself, but I would like to add a percolator or something, so I need you advice.
    What are the materials good for making a bong, apart from glass?
    I was thinking to use brass, copper, maybe metal and some epoxy to fix everything.
    The only thing exposed to a flame should be brass.
    I should start building on tuesday, I promise milkshots for the weekend.
    Thank you

2. c'mon guys, a bit of help.
    Are brass and copper safe to make a bong out of?

Anyway, for those interested, I am working on a new type of diffuser.
    The problem that I saw in all conventional bongs si that if you have a bong that makes smooth hits it's gonna have drag, and the other way around.
    I am building a system that will enable me to have a smooth hit, but no drag.
    If anyone is interested I can go on explaining.

3. we were 35 to read this post, all interrested about it but lazy to post, so go ahead and explain :p

4. I'm pretty sure brass is ok but copper is not

5. Ok, i finally feel like a go-to person. I'm a machinist so i know a little bit about metal. You can smoke out of brass, as long as it isnt leaded-brass which you probably wouldnt have ahold of. leaded-brasses are used to make bearings because the lead lubricates the metal. ok. so non-leaded brass is safe to smoke out of.
    copper is NOT ok, it puts off a poisenous gas when heated. Do not smoke out of copper.

The best metals to smoke out of. in my experiance are:
    Non-Leaded Brass
    Stainless Steel
    Cold Rolled Steel
    Aluminum (I like it because its light, easy machinability.)
    Aviation Aluminum (higher grade aluminum that cools alot faster)
    There is some controversy with smoking out of aluminums. they are safe. pure aluminum is atleast, a lighter wont make it hot enough to vaporize the metal so your not inhaleing any aluminum. Aluminum foil on the other hand I wouldnt mess with so much because of the impurities.

Hope that was helpful. Any questions just ask.

6. So, I made some test, and I am sure that the copper wont be heating, at least no more than 30 degree celsius.
    I actually finished the bong before reading your answer, anyway I won't be using it much.

So, about the bong: it's 55cm high and the base is only 10cm wide, creating a strange look.
    The base is really thick glass, 7-8 mm and the top part is made out of recicled glass, which is way lighter, so I shouldn't have any instability problems.
    I have a steel spiral to hold ice and what a strange mechanism for the down-stem.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the quality, but I made it in paint in exactly 2minutes and 12 seconds.
    THE BONG HAS NOT THAT SHAPE, i made it like that because it is easier
    Anyway, the red is the slider, green is the ice holder and black the bong itself.
    As you can see, when the slider is inserted the smoke can only go out of the tiny holes in the bottom, but when I take out the slider air can go through the big hole, creating almost no drag.

I also wanted to implement another idea of mine, a openable dome perculator, that when you pull hard whit your lungs would move and have a big hole for the smoke to pass through, instead of the tiny holes it had before.
    I hope to be clear, anyway if you are interseted I can explain better and make a nice draw.
    Tomorrow milkshots!

7. Here are some photos.
    Side view [​IMG]
    Top view [​IMG]