Homemade Bong Advice?

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Sarah, Jan 4, 2010.

1. So I went and shattered my beautiful bong into about 100 pieces this New Years Morning and I have been doing a lot of research about creating a quality homemade piece to replace it.

I already have a few pretty glass containers that I'm considering for the body, but I was wondering if anyone has used clear latex tubing or brass plumbing fixtures and what are the potential health risks? I'm not going to be applying direct flame to anything but the broken bowl/slide from my old bong (which is glass).

Also, any suggestions for making it airtight besides rubber o-rings or silicon caulking?

2. I heard from a coupple people that brass is one of the worst metals to be smoking out of because of the toxic chemicals. I personally wouldnt do it, even though there is no direct flame. But it would seem allllllot safer then directly torching it but i still wouldnt do it in my opinion.

3. You can use a orange juice bottle the ones that are kinda of milky clear(any plastic bottle will work).
    Drill a hole about 2/3 the size of your stem then heat it with a lighter real quick and pop in your old stem.

4. Do not use a straw to link em up

5. i just gotta say.. what a shitty way to start the new year. sorry for your loss.

also i would stay away from brass because it tends to give a noticeable taste.

6. My best recommendation to anyone who wants to make a good homemade is buy a 14.5mm Glass on Glass downstem and bowl, 1/2 inch PVC adapter, hot glue gun, with that and some bottles you can make some really quality homemades. The 1/2 inch PVC adapter acts as the downstems joint and holds it their air tight.

7. this man knows what he's talking about, listen to him and follow his guides

8. Thanks everyone!

9. Hey kalec i am wondering how you make the hole in the "nice bottle" where the stem fits in if the bottle is glass? or would you use some sort of plastic bottle?

thanks

10. haha never mind i followed that link to the pics of your homemades and answered my own question Thanks and those are really cool btw. I will put up a picture of my first one for peer review. after it is complete.

11. I would say got to your local headshop and buy a replacment glass downstem and fit it into you new potential bong.