Homeless people in California

Discussion in 'General' started by ILikeWeedxD, Aug 20, 2013.

1. So i went on a trip for my first time to California. I found that there are a FUCK load of homeless people. Why is this? Im from Toronto and even in downtown there are only a few. I mean venice beach is like a hobo campground

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. It's like that in most West Coast cities that i've been too...

San Diego,LA,San Fran,Seattle...

3. Its wierd to see so many rich people driving around in their bentleys and bmw's but at the same time you see so many homeless people

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. my guess is high cost of living + low number of jobs + bunch of young kids moving west without any real plan = bunch of homeless

5. There are a ton of hobos there!!! Its insane

6. If you feed stray dogs they stay and wait for the next meal.  Stop feeding the cats and they go to the barn and hunt for mice.  People repeat behavior that's reinforced and stop with negative reinforcement.  When someone gets a job and their pay is confiscated and given to those who chose not to work then they get disillusioned, quit, and move to Venice Beach where you can live without working.  That's why that is.

7. add in Veterans and drug addicts/whores and your equation is complete 

8. A lot of homeless people migrate to Cali because the benefits are much better.

..ya..you got a grip on the real reasons people are homeless, don't ya skippy...and that they have never worked and paid taxes....

I smell a CNN/FOX news fanboy...

weather...climate...you won't find people dying form the sub zero freezing cold or excessive sweltering heat on California's coast, like you do in some places, such as KCMO.

11. Lol you thought there were a lot in Venice?

Go to Skid row next time you visit here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. downtown of course. not too much uptown

13. i'd say weather is the number 1 reason and ease of pan handling, an off ramp in any major california city is poppin at rush hour. pan handlers can easily make more than you're average part time employee. combine that with a lack of self respect and you're a hobo on top of the world!  

14. I'm not skippy, that name was taken.

15. /agree the weather on the west coast makes it easier for them regardless of what drove them to being homeless. From Seattle, Portland all the way to California. A lot of cities on the west coast were shamed for "making homelessness illegal" so they loosened the restrictions and the homeless community ran with it.

16. i live in fresno and theyre everywhere. ungrateful fucks too, one asked me for some change and I gave him a quarter, dude looked at me like 'thats it?'

17. There are a good amount by my spot, I'm a couple miles from the beach and there is a church that gives free meals down the street.  Doesn't really bother me too much.

18. Mhm. All change I gather goes into a container for my kid, if a homeless guy asks me for money and I say no but they can hear the change in my pocket... oh lord they react like I've been caught stealing from them. Or when I open a pack of smokes and tell someone No if they ask for one.

Yeah some of the homeless community is just down on their luck and deserve (without feeling entitled to) some help, but IME here on the west coast most of them are just street kids who feel like being homeless is a career.

19. another theory I have is weather. Would you rather be homeless in Madison Wisconsin and pretty much freeze to death in the winter or be homeless in San Diego where the coldest it ever gets is around 40 degrees?