Home Recording

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Tokah-Jokah, Feb 2, 2008.

1. i'm tryin to start my own home studio. nothin too fancy. I just wanna record myself on guitar and bass and possibly a drum machine. i'm on a $300 budget tho and i've been lookin at these so far.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Focusrite-Saffire-FireWire-Audio-Interface-?sku=245020

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Omega-Desktop-Recording-Studio?sku=245505

the lexicon comes with Cubase which is a bonus so i wouldn't have to buy recording software. i've heard of people using cakewalk with the focusrite and i kno i've got cakewalk sittin around here somewhere. also, the focusrite is firewire which i've heard is better than usb for recording since usb has high latency. all in all, i've heard great things about both of them but i wanna kno if anyone here owns them, used them, or knows sumthin better for around the same price.

edit: oh yeh, i should also add that i don't wanna record directly but rather thru my amp from the line out output

2. bump

i know there's gotta be at least one person here who can help me

3. go to (dopetracks.com)u can recored for free make beat and all that good stuff:)

4. thanks but i'm looking for something more guitar/band oriented. i know there are people on here that record so someone has gotta have an answer. oh well.

5. I use Reason for most of my drums since I can't afford drum mics right now (they're hella expensive). I use a MTR (Boss) to record guitar, vocals, and bass. And a Korg does the rest. :)

6. I have not heard of either of those two, but i recommend looking for a used M-box, it comes with protools, meaning its a good program that is the standard for digital recording.

7. thanks, i'll check it out

8. MTR = Multi Track Recorder ;)

9. i dont like computers for recording. something always goes wrong. and i end up wasting precious stoned playing time while trying to figure shit out. (takes a little getting used to)

I prefer DAWs since they are purpose made for recording. i would say get one of the new cheap 8 tracks (with a usb/firewire). Its all you need. you can connect em to the comps if you want. I never do, only for midi.