home made

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by BRRRANDON868, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Me and my buddy had a cool looking mini vodka bottle about 5inches tall and thought it'd be a cool bowl so we were going to heat up a spot with a torch and push somthing into the glass to make it a bowl shape then poke a howl at the bottom with a clothes hanger and then make a shotgun. But we heated it up too fast I think and the bottle broke. Does any one know how or if that technique works.

2. Burning a hole is pretty hard to control with plastic.Get something sharp and pop a hole in it.You can heat up the plastic to make it easier to cut though.

3. #3 Recklace, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
    I'm pretty sure the bottle he is referring to is glass.... Thus the whole point of it breaking, plastic wouldn't really break just sort of melt

Oh and I dnt know enough about glass to say if what your doing is physically possible due to the horrible material that I'm sure you cheap vodka bottle is made out off. My advice take the money you'd spend on another bottle get you a cheap glass bowl. Smoke and enjoy, no stress no mess. But I know some ppl just like to be creative and make homemades so I hope somebody helps you out. Maybe a few of the blowers that be on these threads can help ya. Try sending ninjapimp a PM.

4. not even that, ud nead a HOt friggin flame to get the temp high enough to melt glass.
    ease the glass into the flame if you do manage to find a flame that gets hotter than butane without a proper set up

5. Drilling would be a good method for glass. You need either the flat spade shaped glass bit or the ones that look like a hole-saw bit. Both have miniture diamond particles attached to them. Most Hardware Stores carry them, usually in a 4 or more set, and not that expensive. Harbor Freight has cheap adequate ones.

The 'secrets' I found in using them is to keep a small trickle/flow of water over the intended hole as you drill. Continuously dipping the bit in and out of water works to (just slower). The other - go SLOW with very little pressure - let the drill bit do the work.

I recommend drilling a couple of practice holes in some cheap throw-away jars first to get the hang of it. Don't try this on Tempered Glass. Aquarists have been drilling their aquariums with this method for years. :)

6. [​IMG]
    workbench
    something to hold the bottle stable, like a stand with a cork on the end. Don't want anything clamping around the neck of the bottle
    gloves
    goggles
    Fire extinguisher at the ready

I wouldn't want to put any pressure on the spot you are heating because it will crack. Make sure to evenly heat up everywhere right around where you plan for the bowl to be and, of course, get it as hot as you can. let gravity do some work and, if you need a tool, heat it up before touching it to the glass. Maybe an actual glass blower can chime in on how bowls are formed properly.

7. no way would that get hot enough to get glass soft enough to open a hole in the bottle.
    thats why they forcefeed oxygen into the mix

8. I aint messing with no plastic ya noob.:eek:
    I also already have two bowls, my friend just had a cool bottle and we thought it would be cool to try.
    :smoke:
    That torch in the picture is exactly the one we used, it seemed like it was getting hot enough because it was glowing. I know that it isnt a problem of getting the glass hot enough becasue i have thrown beer bottles in bon fires and they will melt.

We had the opening of the bottle blocked off by the gloves that were wrapped around it in the vice grip, do you think that if we would have left the opening open the air wouldnt have heated up and expanded and casue it to bust.

9. lol famous last words "we thought it would be cool to try"

10. haha yeah and right after a salad of LA Confidential and Purple Urkle too