Home Made versions of favorite storebought food

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Trogdor, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Nutter Butter cookies...oh my god do I love those mother fuckers!

Found out that graham crackers with peanut butter have nearly the same taste and texture, brosephs

I've got others, but I can't think of them right now. 
    what've you stoner-chefs created?

2. While it technically originated and is still popular to be made at home (in the south), I love biscuits and gravy. I just love gravy. Milk, flour, and grease. Such a simple combo, yet so delicious. (Bad for you, but still yummy. I can taste the clogging of my arteries). A lot of fast food places sell it around here, but nothing beats homemade.

Sent from my iPhone

3. #3 *guest, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    This isn't a store bought food, but Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay biscuits. You can make the same thing with just Bisquick, cheddar, garlic powder, milk, and butter. 

I don't recall the exact measurements (I never bother measuring) so here's a more specific recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/red-lobster-cheddar-bay-biscuits-31206

4. Apparently, Red Lobster is now selling boxes of the biscuit mix of at Walmart. Wonder how the real thing compares to your link to the box mix...

Sent from my iPhone

I like spicy crispy hash browns and a sausage/bacon cheese omelet all covered in country sausage gravy with Tabasco sauce on top.

yea, thats the stuff. Gravy rocks.

6. Pretty much everything I make at home is better than store bought. Off the top of my head, this week, I've made the following and it is 10x better than some overpriced store bought version:
    chili
    chicken wings
    chicken soup
    pasta salad

7. #7 etraxx, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  8. #8 smokehound, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    home-made KFC:  (deep-frier suggested, but this still works however you like to fry food)

In one bowl, mix equal parts cornmeal and flour with the spices of your choice.  a small amount of corn-starch will help the batter stay on.  Do not beat the mixture, you want it to be thin and lumpy.

Lay out a section of paper towel and dump a bit of cornflakes AND potato chips onto it.  Wrap the corn flakes up, and using a rolling-pin, go over it so the flakes break, but arent pulverized.  You want it to be coarse, not fine. 

Dip the chicken into the batter, and quickly roll it in the cornflakes, and into the hot oil it goes!

Fry it up!  THe results are nearly identical to KFC's extra-crispy chicken.  Works fantastic for fish, as well!

9. #9 unixhelp, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    Peanut brittle if i'm the sweet phase of a stone.....just sugar melted on low heat, add peanuts, pour onto flat pan and let cool....holy crap !!!.....just thought...raisens instead of peanuts....gotta go gotta go....wheres the friggin sugar ?!!

Oh shit....rice crispie cookies with raisens.....damn you for starting this thread ;)

And btw it's always better to take the shells off the peanuts....unless your so fucked up you think your a squirell.