Home made fertilizer - How to calculate the PPM

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by qanon432, Aug 13, 2018.

1. #1 qanon432, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Hi guys,

I searched during hours online and I canno't find an "average" answer to my question/problem regarding my home made fertilizer concern.

I made my ash wood fertilizer.

From my research the NPK value could be 0-10-10.

1) The first time I used around 10 kg of wood witch produced 1 kgs of ash, I added 2 liters of water for the mix. When it was ready I measured the overall PPM solution and was around 2000.

2) Second time I used same amount of wood but this time mixed with 4-5 liters, the PPM was around 1k.

Here is my concern, how can I calculate the right amount I need to dilute from both example to feed my plant who is beginning it's flowering stage.

I found online this calculation example :
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    Converting Fertilizer NPK ratings to PPM and Teaspoons per Gallon
    Contributed by: Don'tTreadOnMe
    Submitted: 17-08-2003

One can estimate the parts per million in solution (ppm) produced by a quantity of fertilizer in a gallon of water, based on the fertilizer's N-P-K rating.

For each number in the rating apply the following formula:

> one teaspoon (5ml) of a given fertilizer in a gallon of water
    (10xN)÷ 0.768 = ppm

> one tablespoon (15ml) of fertilizer in a gallon of water:

(10xN)÷ 0.256 = ppm

Example: Peter's Professional All-Purpose Fertilizer with N-P-K rating of 20-20-20.

(10x20)÷.768=260.4 ppm

Therefore, one teaspoon (5ml) of Peter's Professional All-Purpose 20-20-20 in one gallon of water will produce a solution that contains approximately 260.4 ppm of Nitrogen, 260.4 ppm of P (P2O5), and 260.4 ppm of K (K2O) for a TOTAL ppm of approximately 781.3 .

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Can someone tell me how to apply this calculation on my 2 example because something is not right.

If I'm totally wrong pls tell me, I'm totally lost with the ppm rate and npk value.

For info my plant is outside in a smart pot and I need 2 gallons of water for every watering.

Thanks in advance if someone can "light" me on :).

2. #2 old shol4evr, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks a lot, yes your answer is helping me a lot and more simple.

I really thank you for the infos and the KNF , I will study that.

:)

4. #4 old shol4evr, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 1