Home Made DWC in Stealth Closet

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jul 9, 2006.

1. well lets figure it out!

and rumple, youll be happy to know that i am goin with bubble buckets for my next grow because of the colas you have above. 2-4 plants in my box, im thinking about cool tubing my 250, too bad its not my house cause i would copy the hell outta your setup in my closet.

2. No direspect intendid..Im not knocking your work by anymeans..
    Those pics speak fot them selves...NICE..
    sorry for interupting..

3. hey rumple i just asked postman what he knows about UVB lights check it out i think its something i want to try after i get a couple more grows down, so i can see for myself if it actually makes a difference. Postman said it helps the plant produce a little more resin by, in a sense sun tanning the plant. it slightly stresses the plant making it produce more resin in order to protect itself.

4. Great info! I have read him talking about the same thing. From the looks of things, I'm sure it works.

5. Goodlord, is that thing 2.5 feet long?

very nice pictures rumple!

[​IMG]

6. Haha, where is that character from? Seems familiar, or not...

7. Venture brothers cartoon on adult siwm one of the sons i think his name is Hank

8. Love the setup mate. :)

9. great set up with excellent results

.....enough said.......

10. beautiful. very nice.

11. one of the '' nicest'' setups ive seen in a while,

and apparently it is workin fine for you,,,,

clearly thought out dude, good job on every detail!!!!!!!!;)

12. i did a tad of reading bout the UVB lights, my readings said that because the UVB light burns the plant more than the other rays from the sun, the plant produces a thicker layer of trichomes all over the buds to protect them from the harm they can do. Which is great for me, its just another way for the plant to ensure its survival. I looked em up too, google found me some for $10 or so a bulb, i didnt order them, but they are common on pet store sites. They are made for amphibian and fish tanks to once again simulate nature to the fullest.

The ones i found would fit in regular 2 pin fluoro fixtures, and if i wasnt a cheap ass, and if i didnt already have interchangeable 6000k and 2700k bulbs for each fixture i would get me a few.

13. doesnt it seem like a low wattage uvb bulb like that ( most likely 20w from what it sounds like your talking about) wouldnt really have much effect on the over all grow?

would be hard to prove this one, but intresting if some tests could be done.

14. hey i just ran across this study done in 1994. ill just show a couple cut outs and the conclusion because its pretty long i found the read very interesting....

here is the page: (http://ncr101.montana.edu/Light1994Conf/7_5_Dohring/Dohring text.htm)

here is the web site: http://ncr101.montana.edu/Light1994Conf/index.htm

International Lighting in Controlled Environments Workshop
    T.W.Tibbitts (editor) 1994 NASA-CP-95-3309 home | contents
    <hr>
    UV FILTERS FOR LIGHTING OF PLANTS (Short Report)​
    T. Döhring, M. Köfferlein, S. Thiel, H.K. Seidlitz, and H.D. Payer

The wavelength dependent interaction of biological systems with radiation is commonly described by appropriate action spectra (Caldwell et al. 1986). Particularly effective plant responses are obtained for UV radiation. Excess shortwave UV-B radiation will induce genetic defects and plant damage. As an example the action spectrum of DNA damage is plotted in Figure 1. Due to the strong wavelength dependence of this action spectrum, a shift of the UV absorption edge of the radiation spectrum towards shorter wavelengths will effect a significant increase of DNA damage. A 13% decrease of the ozone column from 320 DU to 280 DU, for instance, will result in a 36% increase of DNA damaging irradiation.

Besides the ecological discussion of the deleterious effects of the excess UV radiation there is increasing interest in horticultural applications of this spectral region. Several metabolic pathways leading to valuable secondary plant products like colors, odors, taste, or resulting in mechanical strength and vitality are triggered by UV radiation. Thus, in ecologically as well as in economically oriented experiments the exact generation and knowledge of the spectral irradiance, particularly near the UV absorption edge, is essential.

The standard UV filtering in these chambers is performed by layers of borosilicate glass (Tempax, and Pyran,) which exhibits a steep absorption edge near 300 nm. The respective UV monitoring and spectral measurements have to be performed with high precision and accuracy. This spectral measurement can only be achieved by a double monochromator providing the required wavelength resolution with a maximum of straylight rejection and with dynamics of about 6 decades.

CONCLUSIONS
    Different filter glasses are available which provide absorption properties suitable for gradual changes of the spectral UV-B illumination of artificial lighting. Using a distinct set of lamps and filter glasses an acceptable simulation of the UV-B part of natural global radiation can be achieved. The ageing of these and other filter materials under the extreme UV radiation in the lamphouse of a solar simulator is presently unavoidable. This instability can be dealt with only by a precise spectral monitoring and by replacing the filters accordingly. For this reason attempts would be useful to develop real ozone filters which can replace glass filters. In any case chamber experiments require a careful selection of the filter material used and must be accompanied by a continuous UV-B monitoring.

Ok well half the shit i really didn't have a clue as to what they were talking about but after reading through the report a couple times, i pretty much gather with the proper setup of light you can achieve a close representation of the actual spectrum that the sun gives out. but you need to use glass filters, and in time those glass filters become useless due to the advanced aging they were subjected to under the uv lighting. if some one could go and check this out as to bring their thoughts on this please by all means say something.

15. Hey thanks for the reply!

Sorry but what was the story with your co2 tanks again??

16. Yes Mr. Postman is the god of big bud in soil thats for sure. I've had killer grows in my DWC but, I got a long way to go before I get to his level, He is the Master of indoors soil growing. You can't give the dude enough rep points IMO. All that said, You have a fantastic grow yourself. +rep

17. I ordered me a single UVB bulb from ebay..... problem is I don't know what stage of growth I should be using it.

18. I dont live where you are but here we cant use co2 for welding or diving..We breath in oxygen and breath out carbon dioxide ..Plants intake carbon dioxide and the biproduct is oxygen..

Oxygen is used in welding (such as the oxyacetylene torch), and in the industrial production of steel and methanol. Also, liquid oxygen finds use as a classic oxidizer in rocket propulsion..

Not carbon dioxide (co2)..

so you might want to change your story..

19. he was posting that because it was funny.. haha.. he knows C02 isnt used that way..

Though c02 is use as an inert gas for arc welding and plasma torches (plasma torches rock! so fun)