Home made c02 gen?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jvjr408, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Can I make one using alka seltzer and water?

2. alkaseltzer is pretty expensive...how much CO2 do you plan on generating? Why?

Yeast, sugar and a bit of water would be a much cheaper and longer lasting source of CO2...but again, why?

Baking soda and vinegar is cheap and will create a bunch of CO2, but the reaction is pretty short lived.

You would do better to sit in front of your intake and exhale.

3. Hey Growers can,t you use the co2 sold from halfords Bike & car shops it,s in cans they use it for air in the tyres wouldn,t this be a reasonable c02 to use as i plan on using it myself i no a mate o mine that used it & said he had no trouble he,d just spay into the room every so often & kill the extractor fan for 5mins said he got good results i,d also like to no for 100% if this is safe before i start using it so it would be appreciated if someone got back to me also thanks growers keep it up!:wave::wave::wave::)

4. Don't you guys know the EPA has declared CO2 a hazardous gas? Yet you continue to generate greenhouse gases that get trapped in the atmosphere and warm the planet and make polar bears eat each other and cause fires in Kalifornia and screw up the whole world...

5. All these talks about CO2 is really annoying. Especially some of these silly questions... do you really think alkaceltzer is going to help your grow? I mean really...? If it does release CO2 the amount would be so small, and so rapid that it would be worthless.

First of all CO2 is only helpful in an enclosed environment. If you have an open environment, or even have good ventilation CO2 is not needed. In fact if you have either of those things, you probably have to cut them out in order for CO2 to be beneficial...

On the grand scheme of things there is a list of stuff that could be done to make flowering quicker and better, adding CO2 is probably the last thing on the list. For CO2 to even be beneficial you have to have everything else dialed in perfectly, and I doubt that is the case. I've never seen your grows, but I'm sure there a lot of other things that you could perfect first, that would be much more beneficial to your plants and harvests.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the quickest way to bigger buds is bigger lights.

6. Listen to Do Work

This is something that has been tested and proven, in order to get a benefit from supplemental C02 you need to maintain at least 1300ppm in the growing space, which like do work says, means it has to be sealed. Bottled C02 with with a regulator/meter is the only way to do it effectively.

Do not use alkaseltzer, boost buckets, C02 mats, yeast and sugar, dry ice, or any other second rate method to generate C02... once your open the door to your growing space all your money will just drift out the door.

7. #7 starcecil, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010

Well its a good thing every green plant on this planet absorbs it and puts out fresh clean oxygen... as long as they stop chopping them all down

If you want to make CO2 supplement and you're poor just do what I do. Its not much but Im sure ANY EXTRA CO2 wouldnt harm the plants.

I buy cheap cheap yeast at the store, it has like 3 packs for a buck and it will last at least 3 weeks.

I fill up an empty milk jug with warm water, read the yeast it cant be too hot, but I don't measure- im good at guessing from brewing beer. Anyway pour the pack in the warm water in your jug then add a ton of sugar. The more you add the more co2 will be produced. at some point they just use it up faster so adding too much isnt the best. You can use anything sweet. Ive gone through my pantry and have been using old Corn syrup and honey that no one will eat, but it works great. I put a cheap aquarium tubing in the lid and I have it proped up in between my plants. Enjoy :) After they use it all up the bubbling will slow, you can add more sugar. Also you can dump out like half the water and add fresh with more sugar after like 3 days. Let it go 3 more days then after that its best to dump rinse and start again. I found the lights keep the water the optimal temp for the yeast to do there thing.

8. I'm with this dude.
    CO2 will only make a difference if you've maxed out everything else in your grow. Even then I shun the idea. Proper ventilation is a much better alternative.
    I've looked at CO2 use in this application and I can't remotely justify the cost to myself, the results gained by that cost or the damage (if minor) to the environment.

This isn't to get on your case at all. Like I said I even looked into it a bit to be sure I wasn't missing some hugely beneficial part of my grow setup. There's just an endless amount of other stuff to tweak and learn about before you go that far.

starcecil: have you done a before and after comparison?

9. have you guys tried this? no tanks. no burners. it's a spray. it's all natural, and works really well. price is wrong on the site though. it's half-price when you get to checkout.

10. 40$ co2 fogger on ebay