Home Depot mini grow box 30

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Sativa Scotty, Dec 17, 2014.

1. I was perusing the aisles at HD thinking about a grow box using pvc pipe and some sort of reflective material when I found a collapsible cardboard armoire! It's 2x2x4 so that will be enough for one #5 pot?

Their 1/2" insulation panels just happen to be 2x4. Anybody use those Mylar-like coated panels?

Do you see any potential problems with this? $30 for a basic little box sounds too good!

I'm going to do a backyard grow but I know I'll have at least one seedling too many so here's a way to have a little fun

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. it sounds like some of the low tech designs i thought up with those like, mainstay cheapo wardrobes or even when i looked at how to make something with a UHAUL cardboard "wardrobe" thing for packing suits and such. there is just one tiny concern...

i say go for it, if you like to tinker you'll have a blast with it :) just remember, cardboard is flammable, make sure your electrical is safe and solid inside your little fun-box :)

3. Yeah that's a lot of watts inside cardboard. If I see sparks it's going down. If my weed ends up getting smoked before it even leaves the pot I'll post back 'don't do this!!'

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. I'd use LED's or CFLs since I'd be terrified of excess heat with a cardboard grow-box. Just make sure that you're not putting too much weight on the box itself, as I'm unsure how sturdy they are, and I'd hate for a light or something to fall on your girls. Those issues aside, it's a good idea for those on a budget!

5. Like I wrote earlier that 'Bonnie And Clyde' dome is long gone. I flushed the 2 week old baby as was suggested and I'll post any changes

6. The box is so far working out great. It's very sturdy and comes with a metal bar at the top where I've mounted a power strip & lights. It's 100% lined with Mylar coated insulation panels. Also dirt cheap.

A good grow box doesn't necessarily make for a good grow! I'm learning that right now as I figure out how to make the babies healthy