Home Depot Coco Peat? $8 a block

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Weedpipe, Oct 26, 2010.

1. #1 Weedpipe, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
    my hydro-shop charges $13.50+tax for 1 coco block, i know what ur thinkin, "outrageous", ya, i think that too. so i found this (online order only) coco at H-D for $7.97 a block - if ya buy 32 of em ($255 = free shipping).

looks ok to me, but never hurts to ask.

So has anyone tried and liked or disliked the HD coco?

Home Depot Coco Peat

2. You look to see how much it expands out to?

3. ------------
    just like the sunleaves coco at the hydro store

4. I paid a little over $10.00 for one 1.5 cubic foot bag of Botincare coco thats already expanded. Didnt want to deal with the mess and stuff of adding water and expanding it, this way its ready to go right out of the bag. It`s a little more pricey that way but more convenient.

5. i need to go the cheap route, 32 of these vs. 18 from the hydro-store looks like a sweet frickin deal :D

6. That will be alot of coco, no idea if its pre-rinsed or not or if an additional rinse to get salts out would be required. Does look like a good deal but for me I dont need nearly that much, maybe two bags at most. But if you need that much or close to it then yeah it looks like a good deal. AsEd who wrote the coco guide would be the best person to answer your question.

7. yep, its alot of coco, guess im gonna need alot of perlite too :smoke:

8. I'd make sure it's a fiber coir and not a piece coir (or bigger), they sell some of that as a mulch and not only is it way more coarse but I don't think they process it as much as fiber coir. You can grow with it but you & the plants won't be near as happy. If it's fiber coir then I think it's worth checking into.

I've never seen coco at HD but it would be great if they started! I'll check out my local one this weekend for it.

9. as soon as i seen this stuff i went to HD to buy some, they dont stock it :mad:

i was told (at this store) it is an "available by order only item".

10. I found a pretty good online deal on amazon. Its 24 bricks for 63 bucks and free shipping. Each brick will give you almost 3 gal worth and its general hydroponics brand.

11. It works for me. They carry basically the same stuff at Orchard Supply.

12. just wanted to know why perlite if your using coco?

13. The perlite acts as a moisture moderator. Perlite absorbs water into the zillions of tiny pores which makes the water hang around longer and helps loosen the coco a tad.

For mine, since my mentor said to use it, I used it. I was successful so I keep using it. I typically use 10 Litres of perlite for every 2.5 cubic feet of coco coir.

14. i hate the Perilite in my mix. first off it did not improve on the straight coco. and when i dump it in the back yard it's nasty....does that shit ever break down? when i first made the switch to coco i did a comparison of several mixes and found coco alone performed the best, so that's what i stick with. open bag fill pot repeat.

15. #16 redfodora, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010
    Perlite is volcanic glass that's texturally similar to pumice. No it doesn't break down (decompose), that's the point of using it, it's a non nutrient mineral. It will gradually become smaller in piece size through agitation but that's it.

Looks like someone hates something because they didn't google it first.

16. that stuff has been around a lot longer than google.....and likely will be after. but seriously if you like it go for it! in the tests iv'e run it didn't increase anything, didn't improve anything and in fact the straight coco outgrew the coco/perelite mix next to it. so why do i need it again? i would always take personel experience over googles advice...and i do have a bit of that:rolleyes:

17. wow... miss the point much? God I love this board, everyone here gets all fuckin butthurt when at every single helpful post. Good job captain 5 posts, now re-read what you wrote, what I responded with and how stupidly you replied.

It's not about more yield genius, it's about MOISTURE MODERATION. Read those last 2 words again. Now go look them up.

Does it hurt being that ignorant?

18. I ha ve a block of it. called, ''beatspeat'' I believe. Haven't tried it yet though...

19. sounds like someones got there pantys in a "moist" bunch...:D