Home brewing?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bad Mistake, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Not even sure where to post this. I'm an old school stoner for sure, but I also love making beer, mead and wine. Anyone else into this hobby? I'm drinking a dragonfruit wine I made just now and it's pretty good. I used a champagne yeast and some juice I bought at Costco lol. I tell you what though, you let it sit around for a few months and you have some decent tasting wine! My favorite style is mead though. It takes ages to mellow it out, but it is so worth it. Does anyone else here brew?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. I used to home brew and make my own wine decades ago. Always liked drinking a nice pale ale.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hell yeah! I love pales. Seems a lot of things out there these days are IPAs. Like, it's all that is on the market here in the great pacific northwest.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I drink so much beer I'd need my own brewery to keep up...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. I do wine

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. A bottle of licorice ale I just bottled. The recipe is pretty simple, too. All I do for a 5 gallon batch is boil licorice root with 2 1/2 lbs of sugar for an hour, wait for it to cool down to room temperature and pitch in champagne yeast. After about a month I leave it in a cold place for a few more months to let all the dead yeast etc. collect at the bottom and boom! You got some pretty decent stuff. Its basically Jager flavored beer lol.

Attached Files:

7. I’ve done the wine from a box kit a couple of times and would like to again. I’ve never made beer but some friends made a really good Ale several years back.

8. There's this old US cooking show that had a decent episode on home brewing.
    I think it was called Good Eats or something.

9. I was into homebrewing ALOT for about 10 years or so. I did a lot of stouts and lagers. Messed around a little with wine but mostly beers.
    I’d have to say my favorite I did was a vanilla and cream stout. My wife loved it and said it was like iced coffee.
    Unfortunately I just haven’t had the time to do it. The last brew I did was a pumpkin beer for last thanksgiving.
    Hopefully I can find the time soon to do some brewing.
    I’ve got tons of all grain recipes if anyone is interested

10. I have read discussions on these very pages about brewing around a grow is good for CO2. I’m an outdoor grower so no experience doing this but thought it was worth a mention.

11. Oh hell yeah. When I was growing the plants loved having a few carboys around. And that was back in the day some 15 years ago. Man how time flies. Been thinking about growing again, probably not a bad idea considering how much I brew. I need to get better about using clarifying agents, too. Some of these wines be hazy.

12. I quit drinking three years ago, but I used to brew beer, wine, and hard cider. Good times.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I go through phases with drinking. I quit for over 6 years once. Man, I used to drink heavy. A 5th of lower mid shelf bourbon a day kinda thing. It was like, heavy metal, booze and chicks, and you know...It was crazy. Now, even though I still probably drink a bit more than I should, I find myself giving most of the stuff I brew away. It makes for a good gift.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I quit almost ten years ago other that one here or there. I had gotten bad and doing the morning drinking, blowing a career, losing a home and all that good stuff. I don’t think there’s any doubt that pot helped me get thru quitting that and hard drugs. I’m Colorado sober as the hippies say and full of regrets.

15. What would it take to produce, on average, 6-8 bottles of beer per day? Would it save a lot of money? And after how long would the equipment and supply costs become less than buying it in store?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. It's super tough to quit.. pretty much anything. Especially drugs and alcohol, way to get your life back on track! I just try to limit my vices the best I can (and yes, the 6-8 beers a day IS me limiting myself lol), it used to be a bottle of gin a day.

Just working on quitting smoking cigs again soon, then I'll get around to the alcohol. One step at a time :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Alcohol and pills were tough but cigs have me pinned to the mat and I think I’ve replaced booze with coffee. I even go thru the same motions of “should I” and “one more” that I did with drinking. Opioids I rode for about a year after booze but don’t miss a bit now. I know they say pot is replacing one Vice for another but I’ve no regrets with it. That hard dope is really playing with snakes.

18. Literally any time you remove a vice, you find another, whether it's alcohol, weed, cigs, caffeine, exercise, etc. All that matters is that you progress to something healthier (like weed, coffee, exercise).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Of course.. in moderation those are ok.. I think it's really about self control.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I take meds for my ADHD, those tend to make me much more impulsive for things such as drinking, gambling, and smoking cigs, yet it's also necessary for me to take them in order to live a more normal life. So I just try to do my best to minimize the vices.. which is SUPER difficult.

• Like Like x 1