Home Audio Almost Killed Bong

Discussion in 'General' started by dropinbiking, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Well, it's almost 9am. I pulled an all nighter doing various things around the house..

Anyways, the parental units took off for the day, so I loaded some ice in the bong, grabbed a coffee and put some bacon on the stove. I came back to my room and put on some music, at a nice volume.

I've got a 12 and a 10 inch sub, and two 6 inch mid-woofers. In my rush to turn it up, I barely noticed my new bong vibrate slowly off the table. It ended up sliding about an inch off the edge before I noticed and put it on the floor.

Damn, that was a close one.

Anyone else enjoy wall rattling bass?

2. Yes I enjoy wall rattling bass

3. What's your current setup?

4. Woot! House bass rocks, I used to be a car audio nut, but after damaging my hearing I've turned to custom home audio, much more rewarding to shake a 1000ft2 than an import hatchback lol!

My current front channels are two 6.5 woofers tuned to 42hz, 3.5mids and 1"silk done tweets. Dual 5" center chan, and 5"+3x5" rear channels, all parameters measured at home with custom boxes and hand wound crossovers.

Next on my list is a Dayton audio 1000w rms plate amp and a titanic mkII 15", gonna tune that bitch down so low you can't hear it, but you'll feel it all right!

5. Sounds like you got your shit dialed! I recently got a JL 10w7. I put it into a sealed box I already had made. It's too small for the woofer but puts out a TIGHT punch. I've got a 12" Alpine in a ported box, it blows farts when it really starts moving, so I might have to go back to the drawing board.

My two mid woofers are just old RCA's I had kicking around. I'm really lacking in the amp department. I just have an old Sony reciever pushing everything, with an 8 band EQ.

To be honest it's ghetto as fuck, I've got maybe got a hundred bucks into it, minus the new JL. It sure does the trick though!

6. Haha, don't worry dude, my shits as ghetto as it gets, all my drivers are no-name or de-named. Thus why I had to measure specs myself.

For subwoofers though, get a program called "win isd" all you do is enter the thiele small parameters (qms,qts,re, etc) and it lets you see the frequency curve of a box while changing the volume and port sizes. Map it out how you like and the program will give you box dimensions to build with! Just gotta learn what sounds good.

But that program won me a lot of comps, used to push damn near 160db with an ma audio 15 and ONLY 200w of JENSEN power lol

7. 160db out of ANYTHING is impressive as fuck, a shitty Jensen makes it even more impressive. I was never a fan of 15's though, they make great numbers, but nothing beats the tight kick in the chest that some good 10's can give you.

8. Couldn't agree more! My shit never beat 160, best I did was 157.8

Had a buddy, I built a box for 2 18" audiobahn comp woofers, people left the db comps when we pulled in the lot! Funny shit.

After the 15, I plan on doing a pair of tens to fill in the 32-50hz range. But I'll need a bigger home theater area then,ugh..,