Holy shit! Black hole creating machine to be turned on next week! PANIC

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Soap, Sep 7, 2008.

1. mos def need to be more high to sit down and read all that....i think ill brb.

2. I think they're just shooting a laser or whatever throughout the length of the machine.

I don't think they're actually going to 'use' it til October. I might be wrong though...

3. If the p-p releases new particles, wheres the black hole come in?? Are the trying to figure out what particles would be necessary for such an event? That article was to short imo.

4. I'm pretty sure they're going to collide the particles wednesday. If a miniature black hole is created, it could completely eat earth in about four years. I think they're either going to learn something new to hide from the public, or destroy the earth/solar system/etc. , or who knows. That's the point of this experiment, no one knows. Here's what seems like a decent site on it:
    http://www.lhcconcerns.com/LHCConcerns/Forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21

5. very interesting.

this made me think of 2012. maybe this is what fucks everything up?
    sorry about the negativity lol, I really don't think anything drastic will happen, but who am I to know!?

6. 4 years....2012.....

i'll let you guys make the connection.

7. interesting read

8. #9 wrb606, Sep 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2008

Did you just pull that four years thing out of your ass?

Edit: Here's a good more in depth article

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1838947,00.html?imw=Y

9. the LHC is a larger version of a collider thats already in use, infact its been in use for over 20 years, and wheres our black hole??

if scientists thought it would create a black hole, they wouldnt make it*.

*unless theyre very silly:hello:

10. Also the phenomenon which will take place happens all the time when particles collide with the earth...this time its just in a contained environment which we will be able to measure.

11. No, actually, I pulled it from a news article. Can't find the original one I read, but here's one:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...d-world-say-scientists-court-bid-halt-it.html

and cork144, a lot of the worry for the black hole comes from the fact that this is a larger version thus it will probably have much different results.

12. Dude, have you been living under a rock for the last year? They've been talking about this shit for a long time, not to mention the fact there's at least one thread on the subject already.

13. You guys are pussies, us Long Islanders have been living with one of these bitches for years n we still smoke blunts errey day ya dig:cool:

14. If you believe in Hawking Radiation there is nothing to worry about. I've read many an article on this, the only one predicting doom and gloom was from a seemingly tabloidy British paper.

15. Everyone fear the Strange Quark!!!!!

16. yeah...I lol'd