Holidays

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Kramer, Nov 26, 2009.

1. I figured the Box would appreciate this topic the best (go go controversy).

For years, humans of all different societies have designated periods of time to celebrate for one reason or another.

Holidays are dubbed by either culture, religion, or government.

To show gratitude, to praise dieties, to celebrate the turn of the calendar, to show respect for the fallen, to celebrate a country's independance, emancipation, or even exemplary moments in history, and many, many other examples are to be had.

I, personally, go with the flow with most holidays simply because I appreciate when I get to see my family and spend well deserved time that I typically don't get to.

However, when I look at the holidays individually, I don't really see any *real* magic surrounding the day, only the closeness that my family can achieve.

For me, that seems to be the only real redeeming quality with going along with all these sanctioned "special" days.

Now, for the user's participation now:

You can answer one or both of these two questions.

How do you feel about holidays?

Aaand

What makes the holidays special for you?

2. Well Thanksgiving is kinda sad to me.This is my grandmas favorite Holiday and she died.So I suppose itll be like a sorta celebration thing or something.I tihnk Holidays are for just what you said.Family getting together and having a good time.

To be honest,there isnt really any holiday thats special.Just another day to live I suppose.

3. No other thoughts?

4. with some other cultures for example the muslim culture still celebrate Eid in a religious manner. I guess it depends on who is celebrating what,

5. Personally, I like holidays. The vibes that I get from them are awesome. For example, Christmas is my favorite holiday. I like the whole month of December though, because it is either raining or snowing, and everyone is usually jolly. I just love going out into the city during the month of December.

Holidays are special to me because they bring people together. I love being able to see all my family in one place for a few days. It's nice.

Those are my thoughts.