Hole In Me Bowl

Discussion in 'General' started by jerbear627, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Hello there, I just registered for the grasscity forums. I've known about the website and the products offered for quite some time now, but I registered because I have a question. Hopefully I can find an answer and have fun exploring the forums here on grasscity.com

I recently purchased a glass pipe at Bonnaroo Music Festival. It was kind of an impulse buy and I failed to inspect the pipe thoroughly. Just as I go to smoke out of it, I noticed an extra small hole inside the bowl. My pipe is a bubbler, so this extra hole kind of defeats the purpose of adding water. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything I could use to patch this hole. I've read online that you can use silicone or wax. Ideally, I'd like to use something non-toxic and/or something that will not burn when I light up.

Any and all opinions are welcome, thank you. :)

2. could this extra hole be a carb?

3. Nope, this extra hole is on the INSIDE of the bowl. Next to the hole you suck the smoke through. Honestly, I think it was just a mistake made while blowing the glass.

4. No there's nothing you can do unless you know someone who works with glass. Even high temp epoxy will release fumes with a flame.

Whoever said silicone or wax is a dumb ass.

5. Does it look like it should be there? Was it made by an amateur? Do you know?

pictures would help

6. Hey man, first of all I was at Bonnaroo and I just wanted to ask who specifically you got it from? Was it that big company selling pieces on Shakedown Street? Because I got a bunch of pipes too. Anyway something I always do is make sure I'm buying from a glass blower, not someone who got his pieces from a middleman. I'm assuming you bought from that big vendor with like 20 tables on Shakedown, which means that it could be a break, a flaw that they tried to cover up, or the blower was just really stoned. Make sure you've considered any practical applications of the hole if it looks like it's meant to be there. Beyond that, however you have a few options:
    - Duct Tape will seal the hole but only temporarily
    - You could attempt to glue something on (maybe like a waterproof patch?)
    - Track down a glass blower and see if you can graft on fresh glass (I haven't tested this idea but it seems reasonable, maybe the blower could turn that hole into a new handle or interesting feature....)

Those are my 2 cents. And congrats on being a part of Bonnaroo, next year we need to have a smoke sesh.

7. Can you post a picture of it man?

8. ^^ Duct tape won't help. The hole is inside the bowl, so duct tape will burn if he lights the bowl.

I think if your bowl is huge, the small hole helps with sucking the smoke through the bowl instead of just the bottom hole. IDK, just an idea.

9. lol how did you not see that when you were buying it?

10. Again, not in the right state of mind. It was the first day of my first Bonnaroo.

11. Looking at the pics, I go with this

12. Yeah, I know it's very obvious. It was sunny, I had shades on, and some drugs in my system. Any ideas for a fix?

13. There's nothing I can really think of to cover that hole. Anything you put on the hole is either going to make it toxic or burn it off. Does the hole go all the way through the pipe? I would just leave it the way it is and continue smoking out of it.

14. A friend of mine suggested using kneaded eraser. He had a similar problem and that worked well for him. It's possible to smoke out of it, it just acts as a regular pipe then. The extra hole just defeats the purpose of it being a bubbler.

15. the only thing you can plug it with that will be safe is glass. just use it as a dry. the downstem on my bubbler broke off but i still use it.

16. i have an idea: get a cone of metal that will fit inside the actual bowl and that will kind of slide inside of the hole in the bottom that is supposed to be there. Use the metal cone to smoke out of, and it will feed into the actual hole at the bottom and you can still use it as a bubbler. Problem solved :hello:

17. Don't use kneaded eraser. Not only will it burn when it gets hot enough, but inhaling burning rubber is very toxic. I think if you bring your pipe to a glass shop they can easily repair it with a piece of melted glass

18. edit: my previous point was irrelevant once my stoned ass remembered it was a bubbler.

19. i bet a glassblower could fix it for you as long as you bring it to them entirely clean.