Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Holding the puff.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by soilgrower85, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Does holding a puff make you more stoned or do you believe it is bad for health. I personally hold the puff but it drives my wife crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Back in the day we held it as long as possible. I still hold it a good long time. Lung full of smoke + Blood continues to pass through the lungs picking up oxygen and THC along the way. Made sense the longer you held it the more fucked up you got. Still makes sense to me after toking the herb for 50 plus years.
    BNW

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Only if I'm Vaporizing. Holding smoke is a health risk.

4. Recent research is indicating Vaping is more of a health risk than smoking a joint because the chemicals are more concentrated with vaping.

I myself hold as long as possible. Been smoking 52 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Educated inhalation tends to provide those most pleasurable of highs with the greatest durations. I completely agree with the hemoglobin statement of thickening the red blood cells @BrassNwood mentioned.

One solid puff done right is a 2 hour high every time all day every day.
    :vaping:

6. Studies have proven that long time weed smokers have more lung capacity then non cannabis smokers. The only problem is, they don't know why. I think it has something to do with holding in the smoke and letting your lungs expand.

I smoked my first J in 75 and they told me to hold the smoke in so I would get higher. I have smoked that way every since.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Studies show it literally only takes a millisecond for the THC to hit you
    Smoking 50yrs. I’d hold it for 10 sec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 2
  8. I just read a study on this and they say that it takes only a second to get the THC to hit you. When you hold the smoke you aren't getting more, you are just depriving your brain of fresh oxygen which accounts for more "high" feeling.
    That's what the study said anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Reading about others getting high never does justice to my own practical research.

Cardiovascular health seems to take a fitness benefit to lungs adapted to cannabis intake. I'll keep this research in mind with every breath that counts so I don't waste any weed.

10. Do you have a source for that, because that goes against everything I know about vaping.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Will state Im speaking of vaping Oil. Vaping a bud is least damaging. Vaping concentrated oils is damaging.

Also same goes for cigarettes. Theyre also saying Ecigs are more damaging vs cigs.

Safest way to vape is the whole flower, and not concentrates. Most all concentrates contain Propylene Glycol, and other chemicals.

Theres several studies, Id have to look for them but I also admit, there is very little study on any of it. Research says with Vape, you can also inhale deeper, reaching different areas of the lungs. Same with Low Tar cigs. No better vs full flavor. You breathe the lower tar in deeper.

But the vaping of a flower is of course not as hot vs burning, and contains no propylene glycol ect.

12. I like to take a deep hit, hold it for a few seconds, let about half out and bring in more oxygen.
    Seems like the oxygen helps transfer more. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. #13 Adlutex, May 29, 2022
    Last edited: May 30, 2022
    I exhale before the hit to make a space for smoke, hit, hold few seconds and take a deep breath to inhale as much oxygen as possible... and hold... :smoking-bong:

• Like Like x 1
  14. In my experience you don't have to hold anything. Total myth. You can actually hold it in your mouth these days without inhaling and still get medicated through sublingual ingestion the Cannabis is that strong. Try it. Works good for someone with asthma. The mucus membranes in your mouth absorb alot.

• Like Like x 1
  15. yeah but providing more surface area for the smoke or vapor to absorb into is going to provide more effects ... the surface area in the mouth compared to mouth and all of the air ways too etc.....
    there is an interesting article on bile acids - Getting high on bile acids

16. So there's this technique I figured out it's like a half inhale where take a hit and pull it into the rear of your throat and mouth and hold it for a few seconds then exhale. There's plenty of surface area and with the high potency Cannabis of today 25%+ THC it gets you just as medicated. There no need to suck it all the way into deep into your Lungs and hold it especially if you have asthma.

This is a good technique for people with asthma but enjoy the effects of Vaping or smoking flower and can't do edibles because they have a bad effect and are a different drug hydroxy-11 THC.

If you don't have asthma by all means suck it all in your lungs if you want. But you don't have to hold it there. All I'm saying is this is a real alternative and it works. My point was you really don't have to hold it there. Maybe in the 60s when Cannabis was 2% THC sure. But not now. He'll the people that trim and pack the plants all day have to wear gloves because this high potency Cannabis will absorb threw the skin if you touch it all day. Lol.

17. as to Asthma phytocannabinoids are bronchodilators , cannabis smoke and vapor is an expectorant ...
    a re breath ( ghosting the hit) is gonna provide the most availability of the compounds ... like taking a hit and holding it in as deep as possible and then while starting to exhale re breath the hit to hold it even longer . can do this multiple times ... I've seen reports where people breathe into a bag the smoke or vapor then pass that around and the people inhaling that had plenty of effects ... gross I know but there it is

18. I don't know about that. My lungs get pretty weezy and full of phlegm and the more and deeper I inhale over and over it compounds the issue and only gets worse.

When I look at the thick brown sticky gunk on my Dynavap thats extremely hard to get off I can't imagine that helping your lungs especially with asthma. ‍

19. that sticky is the medicine , the compounds that provide bronchodilation ... the aerosol created from vapor would likely be more of an irritant

20. #20 TheGreen13, Jul 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    What your take on the exact compound that creates the bronchodilation? The THC ,Terpenes or what? And why when I inhale a lot I get phlegm build up weezy and trouble breathing? I'm serious wondering and thinking out loud.

So you think the heat from the vaporizer is causing it? Aerosol? Even on a super low setting? Even when I use my Dynavap it clicks once and I even wait and it's very light Vapor. I'm usually fine but sometimes it gets to me. I don't know.

I know certain research says THC is a bronchodilator. I'm sure it is. I always fully inhale the first toke. Nice clean light vapor. But if I go overboard thats when I run into problems.

• Like Like x 1