Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Holding it in

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by daBUBBLE!, Mar 18, 2009.

1. #1 daBUBBLE!, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
    Im new to these forums so I dont know if this has ever been asked. Ive been smoking for a couple of years now and have always been under the general consensus that holding in a hit will get you higher...well I started to question this when I was reading an article the other day on marijuana myths and one was "holding in a hit gets you higher." It said it was false and that most of the THC is absorbed within seconds and that holding it only increases the absorbtion of materials that come along with combustion...tar, etc. I understand that if you smoke anything your going to get tar on your lungs but why make it worse if you dont have to? Your input or thoughts?:smoking:

2. Answers yes, hold those hits.

3. i agree i guess its just certain ppl but when i hold my hits i feel higher

4. It's true, you get all the THC your going to get after x ammount of seconds but I still think holding in your hits gets you more stoned.

5. Lack of oxygen?

Or does it really get you that much more stoned...I've never been too clear about that.

6. 3 - 5 seconds or so is all you need to hold it in for to get the most THC out of the hit.

7. ya i usually do for about 4-5 seconds but if i hold it in like milk it really good and hold it till nothing comes out idk it just makes me feel more ripped

8. It depends on the size of the hit.
    For normal sized hits, 1-2 seconds is fine.
    But big hits need more time because all of the smoke is floating around and the more smoke you have, the more time it takes for the lungs to absorb all the THC.

9. That was about the time the article said was adequate to absorb the THC. I think holding it in can change the high because you absorb other chemicals that affect your brain kind of like combustion vs vape.

10. the act of holding your breath could possibly make u feel more stoned? idk that seem plausable to me

11. I always hold it when I have dank... I don't care if it's lack of oxygen, but at $20 a gram I need to be ripped... Reggie I interchange between not holding at all and holding for 1-3 seconds. I think a more effective thing is take a large breath of fresh air before releasing a hit... More lung surface area for absorption.

• Like Like x 1
  12. High Times answered this question either last month or two months ago, basically they said that holding hits in longer doesn't get you higher, and that all the THC is absorbed in the first few seconds. But, speaking for me personally, I feel like I get much higher if I hold my hits in. It might only be in my head, but I feel higher so I still do it.

13. seconds, yes. Holding it in for five seconds will get you more high than holding it in for two.

14. I hold usually about 20 to 40 seconds. To change this "myth" one time I tried to get high by 3 seconds hit... and guess what? No effect! So stop bullshitting. It depends also of a hit SIZE ! If you hit a 50 cm bong , it's obvious that you can't hold it longer than 2 or 3 secs. If you smoke a blunt, you also don't need to hold a hit, because you have plenty of them at one time.
    But , for example, I smoke from small glass pipes, or small bongs. Because I love to hold my hits long.

15. Holding your hits in for a excessive amount of time for multiple times in a row can lead to lack of oxygen absorbed into the body resulting in a HIGHER LIKE euphoria then normal:GettingStoned:

16. I take deep breath directly after inhale, so I have more than 50% to 70% of oxygen during the hit. The goal of long holding is to give the smoke time to lay down on lungs. When smoke is warm it cools down slowly, so I need to hold it longer. When smoke is more cold like from bong, it cools down faster, so it's faster absorbed, so it gives more intensive shot into lungs, but I exhale faster. I love both ways of smoking. I always hold as long as I can and feel comfortable.