Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Holding in your hits.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by xChronic, Feb 8, 2012.

1. So i dont know if there's been a post about this already and me and my buddies always dispute but does holding in your hits really get you higher?

2. If u exhale immediately ur doing it wrong but 20 seconds n shit isnt necessary

3. people really over complicate this smokin weed shit

4. It only takes about 2-3 seconds for THC to be absorbed into your body. Anything longer than that is just asking to screw up your lungs.

5. yea you dont hold for as long as you possibly can but you dont inhale and exhale right away like you would with a cig. you just hold it in for like 5 seconds and ur good. so yes it defiantly gets you higher

6. Yeah, you're the first to ever bring this up actually.

7. Well for me i feel lik it does get you a little higher. Straight to the dome! :D

8. I'd say it definitely gets you higher, but 5 seconds is all you need. Sometimes I like to take a big hit, take a drink of ice water, then exhale. It's all the time you need and makes for a really smooth hit. :smoke:

9. Most of the THC is absorbed after about 3 seconds. Holding hits in for an extended period of time may make you feel higher because you are pretty much suffocating yourself because you aren't getting enough oxygen. You can also damage your lungs doing this, SO DON'T DO IT. 3-5 seconds tops I guess.

10. How about some actual science, rather than opinions, speculation and guesses!

Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smoke. (abst - 1989)
    Breathhold duration and response to ... [Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1989] - PubMed - NCBI

Marijuana Smoking: Factors That Influence the Bioavailability of Tetrahydrocannabinol (full - 1990) http://www.ukcia.org/research/FactorsThatInfluenceBioavailability.pdf

Response to marijuana as a function of potency and breathhold duration (abst - 1991)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2027922?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Marijuana smoking: effect of varying delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol content and number of puffs. (abst - 1992)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana smoking: effect of varying delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol content and number of puffs.[/FONT]

Marijuana smoking: effects of varying puff volume and breathhold duration.
    (abst - 1995)
    Marijuana smoking: effects of varying p... [J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabis smoke condensate I: the effect of different preparation methods on tetrahydrocannabinol levels. (abst - 2008) Cannabis smoke condensate I: the effect of different preparation methods on tetrahydrocannabinol levels.

Nothing like getting the facts! :smoke:

Granny :wave:

11. Any more than 5 seconds and the only extra buzz your feeling is oxygen deprivation.

12. i heard something like 95 percent of thc is absorbed in about the first four seconds, i also heard its not how long you hold it in but how deep into your lungs it gets, not 100 percent sure but

13. To be honest man, it will no matter what always be an arguable question. To me, if i'm enjoying some top shelf herb out of some righteous filtrated glass, it tends to vary, being that taking a rip and exhaling is prime for tasting and the buzz is, of course!, still prevalent. Holding, on the other hand, provides a moment of, almost, meditation I could call it haha, where I can focus on how awesome that pull just felt :smoke: its all up to the individual and the method for sure.

Hope that settled some ahaha:wave:

14. Nice responses. Suprised noone else has asked about this!

15. I believe you do get higher.... but it isn't worth it... I hold my hits 6-10 seconds.

16. If I'm hitting glass I usually hold for about 10 seconds. If I were to take a hit and exhale right after I would still get high, but take that same hit and hold it for 5+ seconds and I'd be blitzed.

17. I smoke out of a bubbler regularly and I naturally hold the smoke in because of slow to medium inhaling rate holds it in for longer than 5 seconds. It's more like 8 because after I'm done hitting, I exhale immediately. :smoking:

I'm highly medicated right now :D :smoke:

18. Nothing more then 10 seconds, it doesn't add anything to your high when you hold it in, and if it does it's just placebo or you depriving your brain and body of fresh oxygen.

19. Dudes! Those scientists were not sitting around lighting one up and giving their opinions! They used gas spectrometry and other ways to measure the actual amount of THC in the subject's blood! This question HAS been answered - IF you read the studies!

Granny

20. Personally I hold mine in for 3-4 seconds, got me high the first time so I always have done it that way and never questioned it.