Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Holding in your hits

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by CyclicDreams, Oct 1, 2012.

1. I've smoked everyday (t-breaks here and there) for roughly 5 years now, and I have always wondered what's with people thinking that holding in your hits for as long as possible or for a pretty extensive amount of time is the "real" way to smoke because it gets you higher. I smoke out of glass, bongs, and vapes (I can more understand if you're going to hold your hit in a while, a vape is the way to go), but I'm not going to lie, I found myself holding my breath for too long or taking to many repetitive hits to the point where I realize how long of an extended amount of time my brain is losing oxygen. The only reason people feel higher when they hold it in as long as they can is because of oxygen deprivation..and yes that is horrible for your brain. No, I'm not saying just take a quick hit and exhale quickly. I just like to take a nice, long hit and inhale it all to the point I'm swallowing all the smoke and then exhale. From personal experience, I feel like holding in hits too long can definitely be not too good on your brain and also gives you headaches. Just a random idea I thought I'd post, GC. :smoke: About to spark another bowl :bongin:

2. It takes around 6 seconds for the thc to be absorbed into your lungs I believe. Any longer is doing you no good

3. Thought it was more like 3-4. could be wrong. but I don't like holding them in any longer than that anyways.

4. 2-4 seconds is all it takes. (;

5. THC is absorbed pretty quickly - no point doing these marathons holds, your just wrecking yourself (and not in a good way)

Everyone is gonna have they own preference, 4/5 seconds gets the job done for
    me but have friends who love doing 15+ seconds..

I do what works for me, you do what works for you
    :bongin::bongin::bongin:

6. I held a hit in for 7 seconds and shotgunned it to my girlfriend and she got decently high. Very interesting*

7. Anything passed 3-5 seconds is asking for trouble..... i like to think weed doesn't even cause memory loss people just get stupid and ghost every hit they take thinking there a "boss" ..... lol

but yah.. deprive your brain of oxygen and wake up feeling like an idiot...your choice X D

8. This person knows exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about taking a nice hit, but I'm talking about excessively holding in a hit and how it causes brain cell loss..similar to sleep apnea patients.

9. A few of my friends who started smoking a few months ago hold their hits in for like 10-15 seconds thinking they get higher. I tell them every time they only need to hold for 2-5 seconds. After that they deprive themselves of oxygen and it makes them think they are higher.

10. Hold it in for too long and you risk damaging blood vessels in your lungs.
    9 seconds MAX.

11. I ussually take a pretty decent bong hit and then hold it from anywhere between 1-5 seconds. I don't like holding it in for a long time but exhaling immediately just doesn't feel right. But hey, if y'all want to hold it in for 10+ seconds, be my guest!

12. [quote name='"sutats"']A few of my friends who started smoking a few months ago hold their hits in for like 10-15 seconds thinking they get higher. I tell them every time they only need to hold for 2-5 seconds. After that they deprive themselves of oxygen and it makes them think they are higher.[/quote]

I hold my hits for atleast 10-15 seconds. Always have ever since I started smoking years ago. It was the way I was taught. But I definetly get more stoned if I hold my hits in longer. If for no other reason than oxygen deprivation.

13. I just timed myself. Average is about 5 seconds. If I just blow the smoke out immediately I won't get as stoned. Maybe it's just in my head... :devious:

14. [quote name='"Tree Of Life"']I just timed myself. Average is about 5 seconds. If I just blow the smoke out immediately I won't get as stoned. Maybe it's just in my head... :devious:[/quote]

How did you smoke it? Glass? Paper?

15. This has me interested

16. THC is absorbed very quickly when inhaled to your lungs. lnly a few seconds like 2 or 3, so just holding in the smoke will make you light headed and make you think your getting higher

17. Glass man! :D

18. Wheres Granny?

I'd think 6 seconds max

19. Lol. I exhale the second I clear my bong. The thc is in you by the time you inhale that shit. Holding is dumb and only causes excess damage to your lungs.

20. this is why i dont link blunts.. holding that shit in for even a few seconds is hard cuz the smoke tastes so nasty.. as compared to just plain bud