Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Holding in to long?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Madmike6223, May 13, 2010.

1. Been smoking for 3 years now and I have always ghosted, but now im reading on here that that is really bad. Just wanted some feedback and how long you hold your hit in.

2. why oh why would you ever ghost your hits??? I keep seeing this and I feel this is a common misconception. All of what ever Thc that is in the smoke is completely absorbed by your lungs in the first 3 secs. of inhaling the smoke. Holding your smoke any longer then that is not going to get you any higher but more infact killing your lungs faster. Next time you take a phat hit exhale it after 3 secs, youll notice some yellowish smoke still coming out. All that yellow-ness is the left over particulate matter that would otherwise be chillen in your lungs had you continued to "ghost" your hit. That shit will hurt your lungs after a while if you keep doing it.

3. Common beliefs (with probably some decent scientific evidence) suggests 3 - 7 seconds is all it takes to get the maximum amount of THC out of a hit.

Longer than that, and you're probably doing more harm than good to your lungs.

Hope this helps.

4. Good advice. Technically there's plenty of THC left in the smoke you exhale but your lungs stop absorbing it within roughly five seconds.

5. Agreed with what's been said.. I used to do it all the time when I first started. But then I realized I wasn't getting higher, I was getting light headed from lack of oxygen. :rolleyes:

6. great thanks for the help I just switched to the, "healthier" way. Just one more question, I usually take a hit then take another breath immediately after to force it out. Just wondering if it can be done a better or smarter way as well

7. healthier would be a vaporizer

8. notice the quotations """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""'

9. Why does everbody always exclude other cannabinoids?? :(

10. For convenience. THC makes up a huge portion, and the others are absorbed in the same manner. The same advice applies when it comes to smoking it. Vaping is another issue, as they have different boiling points.