hmmm?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jiffginz, May 27, 2012.

1. interested in starting my first grow shortly and want to go all organic. on a somewhat tight budget so trying to keep it relatively cheap, it seems like almost all soil mixes have 400 different things. do you really need all those amendments to grow some good bud?

2. #2 Jellyman, May 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
    Not at all. Some growers supply all nutrients manually and just use an inert substrate. You shouldn't avoid good soils just because they have a variety of substances in them, though. Variety helps to ensure no micronutrients are left out. For the soil to completely support very healthy plants (until the nutrients in it are used up), it needs N, P, K, micronutrients, proper drainage and the correct pH. A good mix might have alot of Worm Castings, Bone meal or high-P Guano for Phosphorus, some Nitrogen and micros, as well as Kelp Meal for Potassium, micros and extra N. Some Perlite may be added to improve drainage & aeration and the pH of the mix should be set to around 6.5. Such a mix would cover all the bases for your plants and could be used for either flowering or vegging.

3. thanks jellyman for the response, i do appreciate it. so as long as i make sure to have my N-P-K's covered, my micros and good drainage along with ph i should be fine? was just curious cause some mixes i have seen seem to have multiple sources for every requirement and i just cant afford that at the moment and did not want to sacrifice quality just because of that.

4. [quote name='"jiffginz"']thanks jellyman for the response, i do appreciate it. so as long as i make sure to have my N-P-K's covered, my micros and good drainage along with ph i should be fine? was just curious cause some mixes i have seen seem to have multiple sources for every requirement and i just cant afford that at the moment and did not want to sacrifice quality just because of that.[/quote]

Hey man if you search cheap soil mixes around here you will get all your answers.

Peat moss
    Good quality compost or earthworm castings
    Kelp meal
    Any rock dust ( lime is Mehh)
    And some sort of aeration.

I have all my soil mixes posted in my journal.

A wicked haggard journal

5. sounds like a plan, ima go peep around town and see if i cant find some of them goods. nothing needed in regards for maintaining ph or any other amendments needed for that matter with that mix?

6. [quote name='"jiffginz"']sounds like a plan, ima go peep around town and see if i cant find some of them goods. nothing needed in regards for maintaining ph or any other amendments needed for that matter with that mix?[/quote]

In a soil only organic mix, your Ph is going to flux everyday all day. No need to measure, the plant and the soil microbes will pick how much elements and compounds the plant needs, and each one requires the Ph to change.

Worry about soil moisture, what type and size container are you using?

7. not entirely sure fam, thinkin bout going outdoor this season just to save $$ and not hafta fuck with lights since its my first time you know? heard mixed things about the ph but i suppose as long as your soil mix is solid itll sort itsself out like ya said

8. If you have the option, do it outside meng. Vegg inside under some CFL's or something, and once they hit their 6-7th node bring them outside during the day and in @ night

Then once they are ready for the elements plant away. I would look up double digging. I have all the links for free books in my Gardening Book FTW thread.

Do a little reading and I think the answer will become clear. And I bet the people talking about pH arent organic, and use bottle gunk ;)

9. no doubt, appreciate the info. i think ima drop them a little late just to keep em short ya dig!? just try to get some 1.5-2 foot colas :) yummmmmm! ill peep the gardening books in your sig right now though