HLG QB distance for Seedlings??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by OGbean, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Hey guys,

Got my 2nd grow underway of Northern Lights Auto. My seedling is at 4 days since germination and I wondering how far I should have my QB 65 from it (didn’t have a QB until a week before flower on my first grow)

Here’s a picture [​IMG]

The milk jug is for size reference. The pot is sitting on a cooler to bring it closer to the light, but if it’s too close I can easily lower it back down.

2. I'm new to qb also, Tried a couple of distances out. Light par reduces quite a bit by distance. I'm at 18 inches which is where I always run my leds and that is better for me. I was at 24 inches and not enough intense light. There is a youtube video which compares the 100 to the 65 and the 135 (which is what I have) and it gives all the par readings at different heights. 18 inches is not too much heat imo, and as long as it covers your growing area is a good distance for me. With just one seedling you could run closer I suppose and still get complete coverage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. In at 14 with no I'll effects .

• Like Like x 1
  4. I go as low as 12 in flower and its perfect IMO

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yes, I was not impressed at 24, 18 and things started to kick in. Probably set to 18 let them grow to 12 and reset, as long as you are covering the area. I'm only trying to cover 1 plant with a 135, but my plants get 2x2 (or I try to contain them to 2x2) so I'll have to check what the optimum distance is to cover 2x2. I'm guessing 18.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I feel like they haven't updated it from reviews . Anyone I've talked to is always lower or as low as 18 . I also cover a 2x2 with a 135 and those distances have been perfect for me

7. Cool, otherwise, anything else about the 135 I should be aware of? I'm running 4000k for veg and 3000k for flower. I have 2 and really liked the 3500k, but 2 was too much heat for me, so I'm just running 1 light at a time now.

8. There is a huge difference between how much light seedlings and flowering plants can tolerate.
    Young plants are very delicate and easily burned by light and nutes, which is why many people use fluorescent lights right after sprouting.
    Unfortunately, moving the light far enough away to avoid this can lead to seedling stretch.
    But that can be avoided with an oscillating fan or some sort of air flow that will cause swaying plants to thicken their stems.

I keep seedling lights at least 3 ft away from the plants, and then slowly decrease it as the plants are able to tolerate more light. Also keep nutes very weak until the plants strengthen.

9. I'm at 14 over a seedling right now and it's perfectly fine. I do have a fan blowing but 3 feet is way to far IMO.

And no not really . I'm assuming you already know how to dim/turn the light to full power. that's really all you need to know . Mine is 3k too. More of a red spectrum produces stretch while blue produces foliage so if you keep it to far away you'll get even more stretch and you want those nodes tight

• Like Like x 1
  10. My nodes are so tight under this 4000k, my 3 week old auto is only 6 inches tall and it's already been topped twice. At about 8 inches I should be able to give it the final top to get my 8 mainlined colas, and then I'll switch to 3000k. If I had to do it over again I would have skipped the v2 135 3000k and gone with the 165w 2850. Probably will end up getting one and run 30 days 4000k, 30 days 3000k and final out at the higher wattage 2850k.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah I was stuck between the 320 XL v2, or the 320 324 XL with lilica diodes for my 4x2 but I decided on the 320 lillica since one board is a 27k and the other a 3k so it leaves me at 2850k
    I veg and clone under 4k and everything else is 3k or under

• Informative Informative x 1