hlg 96 elite / any hlg light

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by joebechill, Jun 4, 2019.

1. I’m not quite sure what is supposed to happen here... is the wire supposed to just get hooked in the positive / negative slots on the quantum board or something? Am i supposed to somehow fasten the wire in place? When i put the wire in nothing is catching or anything . I have 18 solid core wire twisted at the ends where i insert the wire. I just want to set my light up but i don’t want wires falling out and i don’t want to use electrical tape if i don’t have to.
    IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_6639.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. Insert the wire all the way to the back of the connector and wiggle it a little. You have to strip enough insulation to get it all the way inserted. As you pull back the wire will catch the clamp of the connector and tighten more as you tug. That's it.

If you want to get them out you have to push the release button, insert the wire all the way to the back again then pull out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Must be braided core wire if you have it twisted on the ends. Probably just not quite tight enough and it's not quite catching the clamp in the connector.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. IMG_6641.JPG
    i thought i got solid core but i guess not. is it not connecting because it’s braided core? do i need to get some solid core? because it doesn’t seem to be working thanks

5. i think i have braided cord wire and not solid core. is this the reason why it’s not working?

6. It might have a little to do with it like it's not actually inserting all the way into the back of the connector and causing it to engage. I would just try again. It's almost like there's a fishook in there and eventually it grabs the wire as you pull out then it's locked in. Just might have to insert it and try it a few times. Maybe flicking the release button might help it engage.

7. i tried a bunch of times and i walked away because i was getting frustrated. i can try more tomorrow. pushing it through as much as i could but it never got caught. how do i “flick the release button”? sometimes no matter how twisted i had the wire... it would scrunch up . i tried like 20 times. i actually turned the light on without it fully secure which i’m not going to do again. are you using solid core wire yourself? i swear, there should be a video somewhere about these damn connectors lol

8. I'm using braided core but it's 16awg so a little fatter an might engage the clamp in the connector better. I'm sure you can get it.

9. I think you stick a pin or a very small screwdriver in that slot near the front or the round one. Not sure. Never have released my wires by there is a release button that deactivates the clamp or helps move it out of the way if you want the wires out.

10. are the connectors on your lights the same style as the 96 elites?. i was just so baffled that they weren’t clamping in there.. did you twist the wires up when you inserted them? i feel like i shouldn’t be asking this many questions and it shouldn’t be so difficult. a video of how they work would be god sent. (releasing the wires and how to get them to clamp) .

11. i feel like an idiot, but i swear i’m not usually this lost when figuring something this simple out

12. #12 Sypha, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Have u tried soldering the wire end.. itll stregnthen it so it wont bend up on you when u apply small pressure and itll secure ur wire ends..

Also it can make your wire just a lil fatter hopfully making it easier to engage in its clamp..

This probably ur solution here.. soldering the ends!!

Flower tent Vegging outside the flower tent

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Here is your video I got it from Hlg's site under quantum board guide
    Board uses Molex Lite-Trap connector 104188-0110 rated max 300V AC (RMS)/DC and 9A with 18 AWG wire.18-24 AWG Solid (recommended) or 20-22 AWG Strand Wire

• Like Like x 1
  14. These connectors are really meant to be used with solid core OR with tinned tips if using stranded wire. Do you have access to a solder gun you can tin the tips with?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. i actually have a solder gun and tinned the tips. it took a couple tries because i couldn’t really make it toooo much thicker. it was more so just to keep the twisted wire sturdy. so it works and it’s in there. with enough force they probably will pull out but that will never happen i pushes them as far in as i could. they’re good now. i actually did tin the ends before asking people on this forum wtf i was doing wrong but i tinned them too quick and fat and gave up lmao

• Like Like x 1
  16. thank you dude. i’ll give this a look

• Like Like x 1
  17. thanks dude i soldered them and it worked!

• Like Like x 1
  18. ayyy those look so nice! i hooked the one up and was raising the current but nothing was happening only voltage. i need another meter so i can measure current and voltage and the same time. or one of those fancy current clamp readers

• Like Like x 1