HIV-Positive Muppet Added in S.Africa

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Superjoint, Jul 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. It certainly is.

I can see what message they are trying to protray here... Probably tolerance of all types of people.

Then get a wheelchair muppet!

If they are going to actually go into what HIV is and how it is and isn\'t transmitted, then it\'s too much.

2. YES!

But that\'s not for me to worry abuot too much. Like I said, HIV muppet = PBS is no longer watched by my children.

There\'s plenty of other innocent shows out there for my kids to watch without having to deal with HIV.

3. I think that kids deserve an innocent and safe childhood and there is such thing as \"too early\" for certain topics.

Children shouldn\'t be subjected to the ills of our society and I am all for protecting them from the horrors out there. The time does come for education and the parents are the ones responsible for that and they should be as open and honest as possible to further protect their children. Half-ass conversations don\'t cut it. You have to be thorough and let them ask questions. But as far as Seseme Street age kids knowing what we know as adults or teens, that\'s just bullshit.

South Africa clearly has a problem that is spiraling more out of control daily and I see the need for education but I still believe the adults are the ones who need it and should then pass it to their children. Protect those children from rapists.

As far as what to do with the rapists? I say torture. I\'m all for torture. Of course, they have AIDS already and that\'s torture enough so the shooting them in the penile region over and over as Phunkyphil suggested is probably the best way to go!!!

4. i understand all of that, but what im saying is, pbs and sesame street and all of that have been somewhat raising children for years, they know how to handle things like this, they arent going to shoot kids in the head with a bullet of reality, they know how to handle it...HIV/AIDS is an issue that needs to be talked about...apparently what were doing now isnt working all that freaking great, dont be so close minded about trying something new, im sure that its merely going to be introduced and used as a launching pad for kids to ask their parents questions, from there on its up to the parents to answer the questions they see fit, PBS isnt going to slam pictures of weak dying children on tv while the count laughs maniacly at each iv drip...dont paint such a dark picture before you give it a chance.

5. there was a kid in a wheelchair that always hung out in the American sesame street..I always despised him...

6. i lick my elbow twice daily

7. How can a mind be so twisted, or a man so desperate, as to do such a hideous thing to a baby? Especially a baby.

I hope these horrible things do not condemn all people with AIDS, or all gay people. Sometimes pogroms start this way.

Rush, in his condemnation of this AIDS doll, asked: \"And how do you get AIDS!?\" Perhaps this is a possibility he hadn\'t considered.

Originally posted by Reform MaryJane Laws
    I think it\'s a great thing for South Africa. If it works out for them, then great.
    However, I saw some report the other day about men there who believe that raping a very young child will rid them of AIDS. Now, what character will they add to some show to get the point across to these imbeciles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they gang-raped a 3 month old baby to be exact.. A FUCKING THREE MONTH OLD BABY.

they should be fucking shot..

8. guess i should have elaborated a little more, i do not sit my 2 year old infront of the news but believe me i teach her kindness and respect to whomever we may encounter in real life. does she give the same smile to the crippled elderly lady as the one she gives the next?...yes. might she smile at the handicapped boy in the wheelchair the same, yes.
    as for the news,therse no gettin round that
    ...my 2 other children came home from school september 11 after watching the whole day unfold on a t.v paid for by our tax dollars in every classroom., with or without any parents permission. im not saying this was wrong. im just saying its REAL,. and its there and its happening.
    back to sesame street,...im not sure, but isnt there a puppet in a wheel chair? i think we need to let our children know not everyones the same on the outside, lets not let it be a shock, besides the \"streets\" been doing it for quite a while without makin much of a biggie about it..but ok, this one is out there a bit farther.

but man were at the point of nickalodian (sp) discussing lesbian issues..n i like lesbians hehehe
    i luv ya all n dont wanna fight k?
    SO DONT YELL AT ME ANYONE :)
    peace

9. oooh see i missed nubbins last post bout the wheelchair kid,....its the av! never mentioned it but well...that av...
    IT SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME TOO!
    peace nubbin :eek:

10. How awful for me to laugh amidst such a horrible topic, but counting laughs at each iv drip? HAH!

I think I see where you\'re coming from. But really, how are the kids of S Africa going to be able to learn from the adults there?

I think for sesame street to be able to teach HIV over there that it\'ll have to get much more graphic since the adults are so ignorant.

I dunno. I\'m pretty flexible, but the whole idea just kinda rubs me wrong. I believe shooting baby rapers in the genitals while being sodomized by an elephant dick would be a great deterrent.

Did they really think they were helping by raping the baby?

11. It rubs me wrong too, budburner, and I don\'t have kids.

Apparantly, they (the jacked up baby rapers) have been told that the purity of a child will cure them of AIDS. There\'s always going to be \'old wive\'s tales\' and stupid myths that people buy into, but this is too much. They need to have a fucking community meeting and aim guns at each man\'s penis while explaining that raping a child will NOT cure them and if they try it, then they\'ll lose their supposed manhood.

I still don\'t agree with the Seseme Street thing. I haven\'t watched it in a while...do they have lesbian and gay characters now? I think they should deal with the differences in people...but not different diseases.

((((High Highawatha!!!!)))))
    We luv ya 2!!!!!

12. Actually its not just babies, the myth actually says they have to sleep with a virgin to rid themselves of aids, its actually pretty rare that you hear these stories about it happening to little children...but even so, no, its not acceptable.

I dunno if you all are gonna beat me up or what, but Im glad SA decided to do this in their country. It may be hard for you guys to fully understand how much HIV/AIDS has become an everyday issue for people in South Africa. Roughly 1 out of every 5 south african adults have hiv/aids. People dont worry about gays or lesbians, they dont worry about the handycapped, their main concern is HIV/AIDS....certainly there are lesser concerns involving all those issues I just listed, but all other issues combined dont kill half as many citizens in South Africa as HIV/AIDS does. I think its a great idea to start kids young with education about HIV/AIDS....Most parents (in the US at least) already send their children to school at an age thats not much older than the average viewer age of sesame street, and the teachers have required courses which they have to teach them about sex, puberty,STDs etc. and I think that\'s great. Even in the US, people still believe false rumors about aids, such as the possibility to get it through touching someone, kissing etc. and to think that if its still happening in one of the most advanced countries in the world, what kind of effect does it have on a country like South Africa where aids is as (if not more) prevalent as the common cold? With this sesame street program, whos to say it wont teach young impressionable minds the truth about aids? its hard to tell truth from rumor especially with everyone having a different story..but I know if I were 5 and something came out of big bird\'s mouth, I\'d believe it period....

thats just MO.....and Im drunk...so maybe later Ill have to do some editting of my post if it turns out sounding fucke dup..

13. education in a nation that impoverished and diseased is good, period.

EDIT: this thought also just came to me, i know when i was little and watched sesame street everyonce in a while my mom or dad would watch it with me, now heaven forbid an adult SS over there and learn something from a kids show.

14. Oops. I think I paragraphed that incorrectly.

Of course it rubs me absolutely wrong (indescribably beyond words) that anybody would rape a baby.

I was declaring that it rubbed me wrong to introduce the topic of HIV to our children by adding an HIV+ muppet.

:eek:

Now I\'ll go and read the rest of the posts. :D

15. So this gang raping was to cure the rapists of their HIV? Or were they just trying a variation on the theme.

From the way you describe it I think this measure and many others are appropriate....... for South Africa. 1 in 5 with HIV? That would seem to be more prevalent than the common cold. That is just so horrible and unfortunate.

lol They don\'t start them off on all that shit right away. I think we had \"sex ed\" in 5th grade (about 10 years old)/

I agree, we have some interesting hicks \'round here who believe even more absurd things than that, but you kinda just made my case. We are an advanced enough country to not need an HIV+ muppet to introduce such discussion in the family. Not that we\'re all perfect parents with the best communication, but I think the sesame street plan is off base for us in The States, and I believe most of the educated world.

Heh. Good point. I\'m sure it\'d do more good than harm to have an HIV+ muppet, it just makes me uncomfortable as a parent. I suppose that\'s where my decision to not allow my kids to watch sesame street if they were going to start adding different characters to help society deal with myth and rumor comes in. I want to give my kids my own propaganda, I guess. :D

16. Did you know that many people who rape kids have been FREEQUENTLY abused kids themselves? I think that rather than torturing people we should attempt to re habilitate them and of course just make it so they do no more harm.

Oh and as to the whole debate. I think this. A kid of 5 will need to know about HIV and AIDS. To know is to know how to avoid. Knowledge IS power. But you have to realise that childhood is supposed to be a time of being carefree. It is in this carefree environment that kids can develop themselves. Scaring the shit out of them with stories of HIV and aids has got to be bad with them in some way. I think we should warn kids of HIV and AIDS but you have to get the right age. I think the best time to learn about it would be around 8-10 years. Unless the age for having sex (in society- not law) is lower. I think you should target it at the kids starting to have sex. I don\'t know what the average age for kids is in SA but erm... there it is.. my two pence...

17. No, I understood you! It all rubs me the wrong way!

18. BB Im not sure what was going through those guys heads when they did that to such a young human being...all I know is that statistics of virgins(usually between the ages of 12 and 18) have skyrocketted within the past decade in SA since these rumors started spreading about intercourse with a virgin being the key to getting rid of HIV/AIDS. Uunfortunately, a large portion of the population in south africa still lives in rural areas where medical practices are either unheard of or unaccepted withint that tribe/group/community\'s way of life....Most South Africans living in rural areas still dont fully understand what HIV/AIDS is, many of them believe it was some sort of curse...hence the rumors of getting rid of this horrible curse in variouse mystical ways...

That stat is true, I had a research paper which revolved around this subject, and in 1995, 1 in 5 adults (something like 21%) living in South Africa either had HIV or full blown AIDS...South Africa is the leading country in percentage of citizens diagnosed with HIV. I dont know where you live, but I know the school I went to as a child began teaching about puberty/sex ed at 2nd grade levels. They tought a semester course up untill 10th grade. around 4th or 5th grade is when they began heavily discussing STDs...I suppose you\'re right, it is an older age than the average age of a sesame street viewer, but for children in South Africa who on average are married out by their mid-teens, real life begins much sooner than the average sheltered child in the US and most other \"civilized\" countries...But I still see your point

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.