History of French Toast!!

Discussion in 'General' started by burnttwaffle, Jul 9, 2008.

1. French toast (often known as eggy bread in most of the UK - the exception being Scotland and Northern Ireland, pain perdu in French, pain doré in French-speaking parts of Canada) is a popular breakfast food in North America and Europe. It is also popular for breakfast and afternoon tea in Chinese world centred in Hong Kong.
    French toast is made with bread and eggs; some common additions are milk, water, or orange juice to thin the eggs, sugar, and spices such as allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Vanilla may also be added to the egg mixture. In restaurants throughout Canada and the United States, the bread is usually thick white bread made especially for use in French toast; when made at home, regular sliced bread is often used. Although often served as a sweetly spiced dish in the United States, others prefer a savory version, seasoned with salt and pepper instead, or even topped with a melted slice of cheese.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    French toast serving

Variations

Stuffed French toast is two pieces of French toast that are stuffed with bananas, strawberries, or other fruit. It is usually topped with butter, maple syrup, and powdered sugar.<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup>
    In the United Kingdom it is often savory and known as either 'eggy bread' or 'Gypsy bread'. Another name is 'French fried bread' but this not to be confused with 'fried bread', which is white bread fried in butter or fat left over from frying bacon or sausages. One variation has marmite spread on the bread before dipping. A more popular version is served with baked beans on top. Another variation that has a 19th century origin is to add a teaspoon of red chili powder (instead of pepper), or a mixture of cumin and garlic known as "mexicana", and salt to the eggs before dipping bread in it. The term French toast has other common meanings in the United Kingdom including: baked bread slices, and bread which was buttered before toasting. Eggybread does not use fruity ingredients, instead it is just fried after being dipped into an eggy mixture of eggs and milk. It is often served with sauces, marmite or even just added with salt.
    'Fried bread' In Italy a variation is served known as mozzarella in carrozza (literally "mozzarella in carriage"). In this version a slice of fresh mozzarella is sandwiched between two slices of bread and the whole dipped in egg and fried. It can be seasoned with salt, but is not sweet like French toast and is not eaten for breakfast.
    In Portugal, it is called fatias douradas or rabanadas and is typically made during Christmas, out of slices of bread leftovers (when it's too hard to be eaten normally) soaked in milk to soften it, dipped in beaten egg, deep-fried in olive oil and then dipped in sugar and cinnamon or a syrup made with water, sugar, cinnamon sticks and lemon skin. It's usually eaten cold as a dessert or a snack.
    In Spain, it is called torrijas and is typically made during Lent, out of thick slices of bread soaked in milk or wine, dipped in egg, fried and then drenched in spiced honey.
    Many New York diners make French toast using thick slices of challah bread.
    In the Western and Southwestern United States, some restaurants will prepare it with Sourdough bread.
    In some parts of Australia, it is usually served savory, topped with tomato sauce or barbecue sauce. In other areas it is still considered to be a sweet dish, as in the United States.

[​IMG]

French toast originated as a way to use day-old or stale bread (some breads, French bread especially, become stale after one day).<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">[3]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4]</sup> Whereas a stale, crunchy bread might seem unappetizing, soaking the bread in eggs and frying it solved that problem. The precise origins of the recipe are unknown, although a version appears in the 1st century AD Roman cookbook, Apicius ("Aliter dulcia: siligineos rasos frangis, et buccellas maiores facies. in lacte infundis, frigis [et] in oleo, mel superfundis et inferes." - "Another sweet: Break grated Sigilines (a kind of wheat bread), and make larger bites. Soak in milk, fry in oil, douse in honey and serve."). This was also known as Pan Dulcis. Similar dishes have existed in many countries and under many names, known in Medieval Europe as:
    • Austria: Pavese (a medieval type of shield whose shape resembles a slice of bread)
    • France: pain perdu (literally, "lost bread")
    • Germany: armer Ritter (literally, "poor knight")
    • Portugal: rabanadas or fatias douradas (literally, "gilded slices of bread")
    • England: suppe dorate (Italian for "gilded sippets")
    • Yugoslavia and some successor republics: прженице - prženice
    • Croatia: pohani kruh
    • Lebanon: pain perdu
    • Catalonia: torrades o croquetes de Santa Teresa (literally, "toasts or croquettes of Saint Theresa")
    Modern versions occur in many countries under other names:
    • Belgium: verloren brood, wentelteefjes, gewonnen brood, or gebakken boterhammen (literally "lost bread", "won bread", or "baked sandwiches" as it was traditionally made from stale bread) in Flanders, pain perdu (literally, "lost bread") in Wallonia
    • Brazil: rabanada or "fatia parida"(in the northeast region of Brazil)
    • Bulgaria: пържени филии - părzheni filii ("fried slices [of bread]")
    • Canada (in francophone regions): pain doré (literally, "golden bread")
    • Denmark/Norway: arme riddere (literally, "poor knights")
    • Greece: αβγόφετα (avgófeta, literally "egg-slice")
    • Finland köyhät ritarit ("poor knights") when eaten plain or with butter, rikkaat ritarit ("rich knights") when rolled in powdered sugar, sprinkled with it until fully covered or alternatively covered with whipped cream to provide the white base, and an eye of red colored jam added in the center.
    • Estonia: piilud ("ducklings")
    • Hungary: bundás kenyér (literally, "coated bread")
    • South India/Sri Lanka: Bombay toast
    • Israel: פרנץ' טוסט
    • Malaysia: Roti telur
    • Mexico: pan francés
    • Netherlands: wentelteefjes (etymology unclear, wentelen = "to turn over", teefje = "female dog"). Used in some parts of Flanders, Belgium as well.
    • Pakistan: meetha toas
    • Romania: frigãnele
    • Russia: гренки - grěnki
    • Spain: torrija
    • Sweden: fattiga riddare (literally, "poor knights")
    • Switzerland: Fotzelschnitten ("rascals' slices")
    • Turkey: yumurtalı ekmek (literally, "bread with eggs"), or ekmek balığı (literally, "breadfish" / "fish of bread")
    • United Kingdom: 'poor knights of Windsor', 'Gypsy Toast' and in parts of Cumbria, 'Pandora'.
    • U.S.A.: Overwhelmingly French toast, though it may on rare occasion be called German toast, Spanish toast, nun's toast, egg toast, or French fried pudding.<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[5]</sup>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, finally made it....enjoy

information was taken from my beives WIKI and a few others

2. seems like you're getting more and more excited.. this thread rates 2 exclamation points instead of one or none like the others..

but french toast> waffles, pancakes

3. Agreed.

And Waffle, you really love your breakfast, A?

4. na waffles would be my personaly fave so im not more excited, just happy about breakfast:hello::cool:

5. Another thread? You're making me hungry...and I just killed those munchies!!!!

6. Alright.

This morning's breakfast is to you!

[​IMG]

7. HOLY GODDAMN!!!! They have STUFFED French Toast????? :eek:

My god, what have I been missing? :smoke:

8. Damn man... You made me hungry... I'd be mad,, But I have some waffles in the freezer :D

So i'll let you off this time.. :smoke: