History Channel- "Marijuana: A Chronic History"

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by floating_by, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Anyone see part 1 last night? (I believe it is 6 parts.)

First, in case anyone has not heard me rail against the "History" Channel previosuly:
    They are owned by our friends the Hearsts. Yes, Hearst Publishing.
    The very company with timber holdings for their book making business that wanted NO part of hemp being part of our economy and was instrumental in bringing us prohibition. A more curious source for our "history" on marijuana there could not be. Conflict of interest? You'll never in your life see a better example.

Anyway, a family member was watching this last night. I overheard them talking about CBD and other things that sounded pretty well informed from the next room, and went in to watch with them.

From the onset, I could pick out the direction they were taking the viewer. In 30 minutes my head wanted to explode. In 60 minutes, after my family member had watched most of it, they were parroting every last point this massive PROPAGANDA piece is spewing. Yes, it looks "well informed," and this person said they felt both sides are equally represented. It is merely presented that way.

Well, cut to the end of the lengthy argument I had with this person after watching. Here is how they were programmed to respond after watching just part 1:
    "If they can make this into a drug, and it has no bad side effects, what is the problem? Who cares who makes it if it helps people?" Bravo, Hearst, bravo...

There were some good things it did plant in their head, such as the realization of the massive expense in interdiction efforts and jailing these people. But the end result, after just 60 minutes, was that it was A-OK for big pharma to move in and provide it for everyone, at least on this one viewer I observed. He is a fairly smart individual, but has been VERY trusting for a long time of anything the media tells him. A perfect viewer for this type of piece. I even explained the Hearst history behind all of this to them and they still insisted it was well done and informative.

This is VERY slick, well done propaganda. Watch it with the angle of the government and corporations looking to funnel this to themselves and you will see it pretty clearly I have a feeling.

It made me so sad, as I have been telling this person about how cannabis will likely cure a host of diseases for years now, and my own family member believes the Hearst Corporation over me in telling them these things. They simply didn't believe any of what I was telling them for years about cannabis until the TV told them it was true last night. :( I am a Crohn's patient. In one hour, the Hearst Corporation had turned my own family on me after watching this. It is that well done. It seems very "informative." This is serious propaganda, and I urge you to watch it so you are aware what it is we are up against.

2. Yup. Pretty much sums up all main stream television.

3. So what were the negative aspects of marijuana that they put out in the program? Versus the positive? The pros and cons?

4. YES, the is exactly the fucking shit I keep seeing. Everyone starts going, "oh well it has medical benefits then why don't they put it in a pill and prescribe it?"

HEY FUCK YOU, are you kidding me? You can't put a plant in a pill, that's like making vegetable or fruit pills. People do it, BUT IT AINT THE SAME.

So you're telling me that granny is gonna have to go to a doctor and have tests run and all kinds of shit for thousands and thousands of dollars paid by medicade (my tax dollars) when she could just throw some beans in her garden and get a BETTER effect for a few bucks worth of dirt and seeds?

This shit has me livid!

5. I'll tell you what the fucking problem is. Big Pharma is scared shitless by how much medical benefit people get from weed. It trumps thousand dollar cancer pills, ultra addictive pain meds, nausea pills, and all kinds of other crap that they make billions and trillions of dollars off of that aren't as good as a simple fucking plant.

It takes a lot to get me really pissed but this stuff sure as hell does it.

6. I wish that were the case, but they're aligning such a mountain of patents, they are on the move to profit for themselves. They aren't waiting around for the people to develop this massively (MASSIVELY) profitable "new" industry. I saw GW Pharma has like 23 patents alone for CBD and various disease treatments.

This is all about a big "funnel" they are creating legally, and in the minds of the uninformed public, so that the same vampire corporations once again have us all by the nutsack.

7. wanna see it.

8. This is VERY well done propaganda, seemingly VERY balanced and presenting both sides. (The very comment of the person I was watching it with, in fact.)

Pros:

• Showing the compassionate side of things. The caregivers risking it all to help those in need. The child with the rare condition they are trying to help.
    • Shows the massive financial waste of the criminalization/interdiction efforts
    • Shows there is demand for this product.
    • Legitimizes the idea of medical applicability. They did focus on CBD and THC primarily.
    Cons:

• Fear tactics. Makes it seem like "danger" is always around the corner with marijuana.
    • Makes dispensary owners out to be thug style drug dealers
    • Makes it seem as though medical cultivation is not an "exact enough science"
    • At one point, they show it creating tensions in personal relationships.
    • Gives people a heaping helping of drug interdiction "cowboy" behavior to appeal to those that love the "cops and robbers" aspect of everything.
    • Instilled the sense its a good thing to be fearful of our government.
    There is a LOT going on just in the first episode. If anyone has any particular scenes they'd like to discuss, it would probably be easier to comment on each section individually. MANY layers to this propaganda.

I think the very first thing people need to be made aware of BEFORE watching is the Hearst Media connection in all of this and the glaring conflict of interest from the onset. It IS very convincing material, and seems "balanced." But for anyone watching the cannabis movement closely for years, you'll see where they are taking you conceptually in each segment and which points they are trying to subtly infer or outright hit you over the head with. Most all of these "documentaries" have been doing the same from what I have seen of them. The REACTION and very RAPID indoctrination of the person I watched it with was the MOST shocking part to me and why I chose to talk about this one. They felt they came away more "informed."
    It outright frightened me to think he may watch 5 more hours of this and what the end result will be. It was NOT good after just one hour of it. :(

9. I'm gonna try and get a copy of this thing. I have a deep personal interest in this not just because I smoke weed (or at least used to) but because my parents recently even told me they think it should be legal, BUT then came back and started talking about it being "put in pills".

Somehow Americans have been brainwashed into thinking that good medicine only comes in a pill or a syringe. They're just too scared of something "going wrong" they have to have an authority figure tell them it's all ok.

10. Amen. The person I watched it with had all these fearful questions afterward.

"How do you know what CHEMICALS this stuff is grown with? How do you know if it's "safe?" I then had to explain to them the Remicade I.V. treatments I have been getting for over 4 years every 8 weeks has a list of side effects about 6 pages long. Do you REALLY think I'm worried about the WEED? :rolleyes:
    I'm so chemically sensitive, I can barely go to work anymore with all the shit people keep wearing and spraying everywhere. Cannabis has never so much as made me sneeze, and I have pollen allergies. (Calmed him down, thankfully.)

"Oh, but your eyes get all red and puffy. It CAN'T be good for you!" :rolleyes:
    I would prefer to ingest rather than combust, but the quantities required would be legally dangerous to be in possession of, I explained. (Non-mmj state.) It's just not "safe" to do that. And financially speaking, just not possible at prohibitionist price levels. And that redness? Those are the blood vessels OPENING. Very good for my diabetes. :D;) (Again, calmness returning.)
    I get blood tests ALL the time to check every last bodlily function to make sure the Remicade isn't killing me. All is squarely normal, and my doctors and dentist ALWAYS comment on how good I am looking. I'm none too worried about cannabis. ;) (My co-viewer seems to sense my very well-thought out responses. More calmness. )

"I WORRY ABOUT YOU when you go to get some."
    I am as familiar with our state laws as best I can be and always make sure to never drive under the influence, and to never exceed thresholds where true legal peril would lie. It's as "safe" as I can be about this, and I hope you trust my better judgment. I wrote the Governor. I wrote the entire Senate and House of our State.
    They never got back to me. :(

"Wouldn't it be better in a pill form anyway?"
    Yes, and no. When my Crohn's makes my guts spasm, a quick puff can calm them so that I don't have to run to the bathroom. The less I have to go, the more I heal. :hello: I know the effects and how long it takes as long as its not a new strain.
    "Do not do this, that, or the other until you know what XYZ Pharmaceutical will do to you." ;):rolleyes::cool:

11. I totes agree with you being against Hearst producing the Documentary, but on the flip side, how would you have made the documentary? So that it was "balanced" and "fair" to both sides; the pros and cons equally getting their say? And I have full faith that the pros significantly out weigh the cons.

12. more propaganda to feed the masses. it's called marketing and they do it well and most people who watch television eat it up like it's from God or something.

the only cons with weed are listening to morons preach total BS. people who get lazy, don't feel like going to work or getting anything done from weed, are the same people who live like that when not using weed.

good thread OP

13. G4 was the only channel I know of to acknowledge and openly endorse 4/20.

Is it no surprise they're getting replaced with The Esquire Channel?

14. Cannabis = BAD

Tobacco = BAD but its OKAY

15. The only argument I need to make against people who watch this is to simply point out that they're trusting the information provided by the same brilliant minds that provide us with such great shows as American Pickers, Swamp people, Pawn stars, and Big Rig Bounty Hunters...

...on the HISTORY CHANNEL.

:rolleyes:

16. there's also Spike and Comedy Central...though that's not really saying much

17. "Wouldn't it be better in a pill form anyway?"

The answer to that is NO...and again NO
    My wife has MS, both of her Doctors told her not to bother with Marinol or Sativex ....if she was going to use MJ she should ingest it, (but if she decided to do so, they didn't want to know...it's illegal here)

18. Funny you should mention that. 2 of my co-viewer's favorite shows. :rolleyes::(
    And the outright irony of the absolute crap that is on the "History" Channel just makes me want to pull my hair out. What? No "History of Honey Boo Boo?")
    UGGGH!!! Zombies! Everywhere! LOL!

19. I've always thought reality TV is just the most ironic thing to ever hit the planet.

The very name is an oxymoron, yet people eat it up.