Hipsters

Discussion in 'Fashion & Lifestyle Trends' started by igggeric, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Nice strawman. Hipsters listen to prog rock. Prog rock is not hipster music...

2. The term "hipster" is cross-applied from the 1930s Beatniks. The modern hipster is a composite of individuals with a certain bohemian life situation and lifestyle. He or she rejects "mainstream" culture and embraces and contributes to independent culture, and prides him/herself on this. The modern hipster image has been proliferated through the internet, publications such as Vice Magazine, and sightings in the music, fashion, and art world. The image of the hipster is constantly changing, but several aspects have stayed constant over time. Usually has some degree of monetary conformability, although sometimes only because of their parents. Works (or wants to work) in music, art, or fashion. Has "elitist" music taste and listens to nu-rave (i.e. The Klaxons, Cut Copy, Hercules and Love Affair), minimalist techno, independent rap (i.e. Spank Rock, Talib Kweli, Aesop Rock), nerdcore (i.e. YT Cracker, MC Lars, MC Chris), Elephant 6 (i.e. of Montreal, Neutral Milk Hotel, Apples in Stereo), garage rock, punk rock, and prog rock in addition to all manners of independent rock. Favorite band is very likely Bright Eyes, The Arcade Fire, The Arctic Monkeys, The Libertines, The Strokes, or something of that nature. Also watches independent and foreign films and reads independent books, magazines, and periodicals. Is a fan of modern art and may also be an amateur artist. Dresses in a progressive but retro fashion that is often changing. Popular items include leggings, mini-skirts, leg warmers, '60s dresses, headbands, chunky jewelry, and large shirts and sweaters for girls and skinny suits and ties, tight jeans and cords, t-shirts with ironic sayings and images, cardigans, plaid and buffalo check shirts, colorful hoodies, and tight windbreakers for guys. Both genders frequently wear dirty Vans and Converses, flamboyant Nikes, large plastic frame glasses, and neon wayfarer sunglasses and are sometimes pierced and tattooed. Shops at Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, and thrift stores. Likes to hang out at fashionable coffee shops, indie rock shows, and hipster dance clubs. Does food shopping at stores like Whole Foods and is often vegan or vegetarian. Eats chic ethnic food and prefers organic and Fair Trade fruits and vegetables. Favorite beer is Pabst Blue Ribbon. Takes up many causes and is often socially minded. Enjoys irony in all facets of life, from fashion (wears mismatching outfits and unpopular vintage clothing often emblazoned with ironic sayings) to sports (plays in dodgeball tournaments at McCarren Park Pool). May ride a fixed-gear bicycle or a hybrid car. Networks through Myspace, Facebook, and/or Twitter. Usually rejects the term "hipster" and argues if called one.

3. you called it that, bro

4. I think it's funny how most of the people I work with (that is, a group of people who own and operate a very successful business) fit under Kimmo's wiki'd description of what he thinks a hipster is.

Most people exhibit a good number of those "hipster" qualities.

A hipsters life for me with my cashmir sweaters, nice car, and tattoos.

5. I fucking hate hipsters soooo much

6. Pretty sure I didn't call anything hipster music. I was stating what I found on her iPod. "Hipster-sounding bands" refers to obscure band names for bands who consider themselves to play a sub-genre of a sub-genre music.

Prog rock is prog rock. Hipsters listen to prog rock. Prog rock is not hipster music. Hipster music would be music made by hipsters, which prog rock is not.

7. If you didnt know any of those bands, how do you know what they sound like? Derp...

It stands to reason that if hipsters listen to prog rock, then a hipster musician might make prog rock.

Are you suggesting hipster's dont make music?

8. [quote name='"Kimmo"']

The term "hipster" is cross-applied from the 1930s Beatniks. The modern hipster is a composite of individuals with a certain bohemian life situation and lifestyle. He or she rejects "mainstream" culture and embraces and contributes to independent culture, and prides him/herself on this. The modern hipster image has been proliferated through the internet, publications such as Vice Magazine, and sightings in the music, fashion, and art world. The image of the hipster is constantly changing, but several aspects have stayed constant over time. Usually has some degree of monetary conformability, although sometimes only because of their parents. Works (or wants to work) in music, art, or fashion. Has "elitist" music taste and listens to nu-rave (i.e. The Klaxons, Cut Copy, Hercules and Love Affair), minimalist techno, independent rap (i.e. Spank Rock, Talib Kweli, Aesop Rock), nerdcore (i.e. YT Cracker, MC Lars, MC Chris), Elephant 6 (i.e. of Montreal, Neutral Milk Hotel, Apples in Stereo), garage rock, punk rock, and prog rock in addition to all manners of independent rock. Favorite band is very likely Bright Eyes, The Arcade Fire, The Arctic Monkeys, The Libertines, The Strokes, or something of that nature. Also watches independent and foreign films and reads independent books, magazines, and periodicals. Is a fan of modern art and may also be an amateur artist. Dresses in a progressive but retro fashion that is often changing. Popular items include leggings, mini-skirts, leg warmers, '60s dresses, headbands, chunky jewelry, and large shirts and sweaters for girls and skinny suits and ties, tight jeans and cords, t-shirts with ironic sayings and images, cardigans, plaid and buffalo check shirts, colorful hoodies, and tight windbreakers for guys. Both genders frequently wear dirty Vans and Converses, flamboyant Nikes, large plastic frame glasses, and neon wayfarer sunglasses and are sometimes pierced and tattooed. Shops at Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, and thrift stores. Likes to hang out at fashionable coffee shops, indie rock shows, and hipster dance clubs. Does food shopping at stores like Whole Foods and is often vegan or vegetarian. Eats chic ethnic food and prefers organic and Fair Trade fruits and vegetables. Favorite beer is Pabst Blue Ribbon. Takes up many causes and is often socially minded. Enjoys irony in all facets of life, from fashion (wears mismatching outfits and unpopular vintage clothing often emblazoned with ironic sayings) to sports (plays in dodgeball tournaments at McCarren Park Pool). May ride a fixed-gear bicycle or a hybrid car. Networks through Myspace, Facebook, and/or Twitter. Usually rejects the term "hipster" and argues if called one.[/quote]

Some of this is pretty sick tho...why would you be FOR the mainstream?

9. As for your first line, I don't even know what you're saying? "Hipster-sounding" (as I said), refers to the name of the band, not the sound the band creates.

I'm suggesting that the genre of prog rock didn't originate from hipsters. This, on the other hand, is hipster music made by hipsters.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjuXSgjAzZk]Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. - Simple Girl [Live] - YouTube[/ame]

[​IMG]

10. What the fuck kind of nonsense is that? Hipster sounding names for a band?

How not? You suggest that hipsters have been around since the 30s. Are you suggesting that Syd Barrett or Roger Waters was definitively NOT hipsters? They seem to stray off the beaten path in their day. I'd say they were more likely to be hipsters of their era than not.

Music on the radio is hipster music now, apparently. :laughing:

11. the best you can do is worry about yourself brah. the fuck u worried about another man for?

12. Wow you're grasping at straws.

13. Do you even know what grasping at straws means? :laughing:

What the fuck is a hipster sounding name? This is just some belligerent hogwash you've made up.

I didn't say modern day hipsters, I said hipsters. Get it right.

:laughing:

Because you know Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr? You -know- they're hipsters? I just hear them on the radio. I don't make comments about the kind of people i think they are just by what they sound like.

Man, I hope you keep posting your blind prejudicial nonsense.

Better yet - don't. You've already shown that you judge people based on arbitrary bullshit like what kind of music they listen to and how they dress. We don't have to go any further than that.

Buffoonery.

14. This is getting funner and funner.

15. :laughing:

Sorry bub, you posted that in response to the question where hipsters came from.

We've already established this is merely opinion. And also that you judge people based on how they look. I wonder what you look like?

I've already said I'm a hipster, according to you. But then you don't actually know anything about me. So why would I be offended by being called a hipster? I'm just offended you judge people based on looks and musical tastes. While not exposing yourself to the same judgment, no less.

I'll just reiterate these parts:

16. There are so many strawmans in here that I couldn't refute them without using strawmans myself.

17. There are zero strawmans. You've just been caught red handed being judgmental.

It's okay, man.

18. #58 OutOnTheTiles, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
    check out this fucking guy hahahaha[​IMG]
    edit: search hipsters on google image theres a few good ones:hello:

19. #59 bahookahjoe18, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011

Would you call me a hipster?

20. I wouldnt worry about it man, I fall under some of the things they say hipsters are and Im definitely not one