"Hippies"

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by finshaggy, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Alright. So I want to start off with the past, but PLEASE don't cling to this part. It is a very small part of what I have to say. A "Hippy" in the past was just someone that was within the culture. They didn't necessarily believe in the ideas that were taking hold. A person considered a hippy may have believe in the ideas. But not every single one did. Some even now say, "I was just really high, trying to have fun, and being stupid." But, that's because that individual WAS "Really high trying to have fun and being stupid" And that individual was not thinking ANY deeper than that. So even in the past the term "Hippy" was not the best word, not to say that there was a best word. There was just words, not "good" words to describe everything well.
    There were Yippies, Hippies, Stoners, tweakers, Acid heads, and more words probably lost to history. But a lot of these words are used interchangeably today.

These words are not interchangable. These people may do similar things, and may have similar ideas. But they are all different things.

"Hippy" is used and was used very generally. Someone who wears peace signs a lot. or someone who simply has long hair, or smokes a lot of weed. A cop can smoke a lot of weed.

The MAIN question I want to ask is...

What The Fuck is the deal with EVERYONE thinking Hippies are driving around in prius's, and other little shitty cars?

People call me a Hippy. White people say I look like Jesus, Mexicans say I look like Shaggy, Black people say I look like young Snoop. I don't like being called a hippy. But I look like I look, and my clothing option doesn't help, but I'm not walking around in tie die or peace signs. So a long haired stoner is a hippy?

I want Three Vehicles:
    A little boat, for travel (maybe upgrade eventually)
    A Bus (Like semi modern school bus)
    And an old Cady Deville

So I just want to let everyone know. There's more than just "Hippies". And even if noone cares that there are more things, PLEASE stop generalizing it as in the arena with someone who's going to gloat over you because they recycle and drive a prius.

This has come up with smokers. That's why I feel it might reach the right ears by being posted on Roll it up.

2. People tend to have external view points of categorizing one into boxes rather to seeing their unique qualities. But, maybe this have to do with judging a book by it's cover; Personally, I don't really define myself by a label because a label is just a useless shallow generalization.

3. Are you talking about the so called hippies of the 60s and 70s? The ones that are riding around in the expensive eco-cars are the ones that could afford to be "hippies" back in the day because their parents were putting their [nowadays, yuppie] asses thru college so they could become accountants and lawyers. Are these the "hippies" you are asking about?

4. He's talking about automatically stereotyping a person a hippie because they look like one.

5. My whole point is I don't care about "hippies", or do what they do, why am I being called one.

I don't drive a Prius. I don't protest Hummers. I throw trash on the highway. I don't wear peace signs. I have long hair. Somehow, that is a hippy now.

6. A long-haired 60s flower child was a “hippie.” “Hippy” is an adjective describing someone with wide hips. The IE is not caused by a Y changing to IE in the plural as in “puppy” and “puppies.” It is rather a dismissive diminutive, invented by older, more sophisticated hipsters looking down on the new kids as mere “hippies.” Confusing these two is definitely unhip.

7. Yeah, throwing trash on the road def opts you out of being someone that cares about things "hip"

8. You sound like a hippie, finshaggy!

:D

9. Only hippies care about being called hippies.

Ya hippie. :p

10. God damn.:smoke: