Hip hop is not dead!!!!!

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by HCL, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Okay, I'm starting to get sick and tired of hearing all of these people saying "oh man fuck rap, hip hop is dead," I don't even think the people who keep yelling that out are actually true hip hop/rap fans in the first place. Yes, I understand that the radio is filled with mostly garbage, but if you use that as a measure to the strength or relevance of hip hop, then maybe you should just stop listening to it altogether.

I mean, I don't know about the rest of you, but I can STILL find and bump some very, very hot shit. Maybe it's not overloaded like it was back in the 90's, but trust me, if you look there is definitely NO SHORTAGE of good hip hop around right now.

I get annoyed by all of these people (and I see a lot of this on GC) saying that hip hop is dying and good music is being released less and less, but I actually strongly disagree on that. It seems like every day I continue to just keep finding hot material and I never run out of good shit to listen to, and I don't even really need to search, besides going to a couple of hip hop websites.

Maybe it's just because other people like less variety or maybe I have too much variety, but either way I wouldn't say that the end of hip hop is near, or even that it's dying. To me, hip hop is alive and pumping well.

2. this thread has been made a million times before...we know that hip hops not dead...look at the rate hip hop songs thread.

/thread.

3. I'm not talking about a thread that you can choose any song in rap's catalog, but within the past 5 years (or, to get a more accurate reading, we'll start from when Nas declared 'hip hop was dead'). There has been just as much of good hip hop coming out as there has been bad hip hop coming out, but a lot of people jump on the 'dying' bandwagon. Why? Because they are too lazy to 'look' for good music?

I'm not trying to look at hip hop as a whole LK, but more like targeting the past few years where people have really been jumping on the bandwagon and claiming good music is harder to find. You can't honestly tell me '/thread' when in just about every hip hop thread on GC, there are a collective group of people saying "rap is bullshit now, it's all mainstream radio hits and sellout artists blah blah blah". It's not even fun trying to debate people on hip hop anymore because it always ends up going down that path and then it becomes an "is hip hop dead or alive" debate.

4. "hip hop aint dead, it just took a couple shots" Game

5. I was literally just thinking about those lyrics when I read your reply. Weird.

6. “Hip hop is not dead; it's just malnourished and underfed.” - Blue Scholars

7. hip hop is fire in the UK right now check out rhyme asylum and jehst these guys are bringing fresh original and raw shit

8. RHYME ASYLUM IS ILL HOMIE! that track they did with copywrite was straight fire!!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v15NoSWrm0w]YouTube - Rhyme Asylum- Attitude Problem feat. Copywrite[/ame]

possessed is dope too in his battles +rep dude!

9. It's not that the state of hip hop itself is dead, because that isn't exactly what the term defines. It's considered "dead" because of the sellouts, the labels,... all that bullshit you know? Like how so many underground rappers pour their souls into their music and don't even make profit off their album, when you got Lil Wayne rapping about how good he is at fucking, or how awesome he is and he's making millions. It's the image that 99% of the population perceives rap as, and that is indeed a fact. People aren't hearing the guys with actual meaning, we just hear what the media is giving us, and that is just plain shit.

Hip hop is far from dead, it's just the way its presented. I can't tell you how many people I hear who think all rap is the same, because that's far from what rap is. Rap is one of the most diverse genres, it's just masked by the mainstream that plagues it.

10. It's not dead, just on the verge of extinction. If you look at it from a whole, the actual good hip-hop probably makes up for 10%, while the shitty, auto tune hip-pop makes up the rest.

11. I would disagree, and even say that "good" rap is being put out more than shitty rap. Whether you want to go by a track-for-track or a CD-for-CD comparison, I still think the majority of rap is made up of good rap. You just have to listen past your local radio stations to find it, which it seems like not a lot of people are willing to do.

12. Hip hop is alive and well. Music is dead.

13. Anyone who says hip hop/rap is dead, never knew REAL music anyways. Cuz if they knew, they would know their are THOUSANDS of talented artists.

14. Look back to the 90's, we had A Tribe Called Quest, Souls of Mischief, Wu-Tang, GZA, Public Enemy, etc. Now look at what the industry is: meaningless, over-materialistic garbage. There's no doubt some great music coming out today but it is overshadowed by the big labels.

15. Jehst is too ill, also must check Taskforce and Wretch 32

16. the only people to say hip hop is dead..is white people or nas....

17. Or lil' wayne fans

18. Lil Wayne fans think hip hop is alive and well because their favorite artist is doing well.

19. Your talking about rap music not hip hop culture. Rap is hip hop but hip hop is not rap. As a whole hip hop culture isn't dead but it's in acoma and is half dead. Rap is still alive and so is good rap if you look for. It's almost impossible to find real dj's and bboys on the corner or at jams, parties and shit . Hip hop used to be about uniqueness and individuality, today you'll see everybody saying the same shit, doin the same dance moves and just mimmicking who's hot right now. A true hip hop junkie will find a way to support his habit, but less and less people are being exposed to hip hop therefore it's slowly dying. Oh but grafitti has been getting a lot better over the years so thats the plus side.

20. Hip hop ain't dead; rock music if anything is dead. Look at the Billboard charts for rock music compared to hip hop. Three Days Grace... Shinedown... Breaking Benjamin? These bands are all incredibly mediocre, uninspired and unoriginal. I would rather listen to Lil Wayne, Drake, Jay-Z & Usher; or whatever, any day over these bands. At least they possess some degree of inventiveness.