Hindu god of cannabis

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Smotpoking, Jul 21, 2011.

1. So I've heard that the Hindu religion has millions of gods, and since marijuana originates from India wouldn't it make sense if there was a Hindu god of weed?

2. #2 420rowdyguy, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
    Shiva

Cannabis or ganja is associated with worship of the Hindu deity Shiva, who is popularly believed to like the hemp plant. Bhang is offered to Shiva images, especially on Shivratri festival. This practice is particularly witnessed at the temples of Benares, Baidynath and Tarakeswar.[33]

Taken from wikipedia, learned from strain hunters

3. #3 Smotpoking, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    That's awesome thanks

4. yea they offer bhang( a drink made from weed and water) to shiva because weed calms shiva down and prevents shiva from getting angry ,

5. #5 1Trismegistus1, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
    Shiva isn't "the God of weed" so to speak, it's simply that cannabis is a plant sacred to Shiva. Also, the idea of calming Shiva down is ludicrous lol, it's simply an offering, one made from dogma and an improper understanding of the God, as He is "The Destroyer" and so they believe pouring milk etc. on a shivling "cools Shiva's temper" or whatever, but in the end all it is is an offering, because Shiva's worshippers see Him as the most benevolent God, not something you would think of one called "The Destroyer" lol.

Shiva is actually the Archetype of God that I worship, but I worship Him by a different name from a different culture. Shiva is the Christ/Krishna consciousness, the Divine Mind aspect of God, but those aren't the form I worship Him in either lol.

I worship him as Dionysus/Bacchus, which "coincidentally" is the "God of Wine". The reason they are associated with intoxicants is because of the blissful/ecstatic state one achieves by the worship of that God, as well as invocations/henosis with that God-form. The Greeks also used a lingam as a symbol of Dionysus, the same thing that a shivling is for Shiva, even though the cultures had no contact with each other (physically lol), the only difference being instead of a Yoni for Shiva for the feminine principle, there is a serpent wrapped around the lingam for Dionysus for the feminine principle.