Hill planting: North or South facing?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by CaptnWillie, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Is it better to plant your crop on a hill that faces north (less sunlight) or south (more sunlight).
    My concerns are that there is a big difference, the South side recieves much more sun and is much dryer while the north facing receives much less sun but has more moisture.

I live in the northern hemisphere.

My concerns are watering cycles (as i fear the south facing plants will need water much more frequently) and could flowering be induced early if i plant north facing and they receive light later in the day than the south facing.

2. what climate do you live in?

3. pretty dry climate. about 18 inches rainfall annually.
    70% sunshine availability, max temperature is about 81 in july, average temperatures around 75 in the summer.

4. if you live in the northern hemisphere then you want your plants and solar panels looking south to get the most amount of light possible.

Its likely that theyll need more water, but they will be bigger and yield more in the southern slope of the hill.

Whatever you decide, throw some on the other side and see how they do..

IMHO the point of going outdoors is that no rootboundness and u get the best lighting system for free... use it.

5. Southern slopes are always, in every enviroment, the best places you can grow. Cannabis is a sun loving plant. The more sun it gets, the stronger the sun, the bigger the plants and the more potent the plants.

No drug species of cannabis has evolved above 30N. Resin production is directly related to sun strenght. An outdoor grower in Ohio, can never grow a plant as potent as an outdoor grower in Columbia. The reason is the strength of the sun.

The more sun, the better.There is no exception to that rule.

6. I believe marijuana plants prefer the morning sun over the afternoon sun...read that somewhere on here I think. Like south/east facing slope is better than south/west. But definetly the whole day is the best.

7. Prefer South in most cases but if you're hand watering, south means a lot of waterings and possible death if not watered in time. Prefer East (morning sun is important if your area is rainy and moldy in Fall) or West but never North. Full South 12 hour sunny spots need a lot of watering. North facing spots are useless (little plants, airy buds, mold issues...).