Highly rated book...says to trim the plant all the way thru grow..

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ShadowMonkey, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Marijuana Cultivation Reconsidered..
    Author says he trims the plant all thru the grow taking off all the small parts on the stems below the canopy and just leaving the big stuff. The theory is the plants then feed more nutrients to the buds. But then less leaves means the plant is absorbing less light. I know some firmly believe you should not take anything off the plant during the grow. This guy says trim, trim, trim at every step, with a caution to do it a little at
    a time so you learn how to do it effectively.

2. He means to cut out undergrowth that doesn't get much light and will produce fluff bud

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 5
  3. Yes SGTChickens I think this is what he is saying. Is this standard practice? Some say those little buds on
    the bottom can be potent little dudes at the end of grow. If you have a good, strong light a lot of the undergrowth will get light. I'm trying to figure out how much to trim, when to trim, or whether to trim at all. I mean, dead leaves and branches are no brainers. Get rid of them. But trimming all the way thru the grow period..I don't know. Looking for advice on this one.

4. One starred Debo? Not sure what this means.

5. You did a good try tho bro. images.png

• Like Like x 1

6. add more light instead

7. Oh I get it Debo. You are giving the post a one star review. Well I've seen some of your posts and I give you a one star for your ability to write. I'm not your "Bro" bro. If you don't have anything to contribute to the question then stop wasting everyone's time. I really don't give a damn how you rate the post. If you don't like the post then move on.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Yes Dickie agreed, more light. But I'm using 600 Watt Metal Halide MH Grow Light Bulb Lamp 55000 lumens which in my humble opinion should be plenty. Really interested in learning how others trim or don't trim their plants during growth cycle and also shaping, training vs. Scrog. I was wondering with some practice if you could just train your plant to grow more horizontal with results as good as using a net to make it grow horizontal.

9. I used to trim all the way through grow now i feel plants need all there leaves during veg soon as im ready to flip is when i give my bitches haircuts

Autoflower420

• Like Like x 1
  10. Makes sense autoflower. But what about missing the leaves during flower? Think it makes a difference in the grow? I've seen some people people say DONT TAKE OFF ANYTHING!!! Others trim away a lot and shape, pinch, bend, and tie. I'm a newbie just listening and learning.

11. [​IMG][​IMG] dont seem to notice any thing

Autoflower420

12. Nice pics and plants autoflower.

• Like Like x 1
  13. [​IMG]

Autoflower420

14. It's called lollipoping and widely accepted as beneficial. This is not what people refer to as defoliating which is what I think you're getting confused with.

It's practiced by a lot of people but I have done a few experiments and leaving the scraggly bits of bud on the plants gives me a better yield. Most of the time those low down buds are thrown on the trim pile for making hash with, but stripping them all off during flowering seems to shock the plant and slow growth for a short time. I noticed the plants seemed to stretch less in early flower when it was done so this could be a positive effect for some

15. Thanks Gold. You've been the voice of reason from the beginning and you continue. Appreciate you
    sharing the info. I've seen lots of plants which have a "lollipopping" but don't know much about it. Is it just trimming away everything but certain main branches and then growing them? Man those are some huge, long, tall buds.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yeah that's pretty much it. The problem with the buds lower down is they don't grow in to anything decent and it's a pain on harvest day to sort through it all. When you strip all the lower down bud sites its said that the energy used to grow these will be rerouted to the main buds. But in my experience this isn't necessarily the case. I find stripping out the lower growth stunts growth for a short while which has a negative effect on the final yield. It's still something that's widely practiced by a lot of people who say they get desired results. It's also said that as the leaves under the canopy die back they open up a risk to mould and other fungus but I have never had any problems with this

Before
    [​IMG]

A couple of weeks in
    [​IMG]

A couple of weeks after that
    [​IMG]

17. Fan leaves are the muscles of the plant. You weaken bud growth when you trim too much. Don't trim too much. You may end up with scrawny popcorn buds. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1