Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Higher Education & Cannabis

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Blaxmith, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Good morning, Blades! :wave:

I am a freshman in college, attending a CSU (4 year, state run college). I am currently undeclared but I'm thinking of transferring down south to Cal Poly Pomona, and I may have to choose a major field of study. I was thinking about majoring in Mathematics, because i think numbers are beautiful and math is very interesting to me, but when considering something I would like to do for a career, the marijuana market/field is very appealing to me. I know it isn't legal yet, but I was wondering what kind of college degrees would give me a leg up when it is (plus I can still enter the MMJ industry regardless of actual legalization).

My guesses would be: Botany and Agricultural Business.

I'm interested in the seasoned tokers' insights, but its ok if this thread gets off topic, and anything related to higher education and cannabis can be shared here.

:smoking:
    Peace, Love, and toke on!

2. I don't think you can be any more prepared than with taking Agricultural Business. I'd imagine the courses you should take would be very similar to any business selling products, especially tobacco and such.

3. Hey man. Im a senior math major. IMO you'll be able to do most anything with math, because people will know you're at least somewhat intelligent and hardworking. Will it really prepare you to work in the cannabis business? Probably not, but id imagine having a degree isn't really that important anyway. Just be prepared to work hard.

4. I'm really questioning planning for a career path that doesn't exist and isn't likely to.
    Sure, there's a chance weed will become more and more legal in the next few years, but sadly not to a point where it's as huge an industry as it potentially could be.
    I would suggest sticking with mathematics, it can always be applied to business and economic studies if you end up going that route, and there are plenty of other uses for it if you don't. Good luck man.

5. ya know im a sophmore at memphis. i feel like i just dont fit in the college scene and like im waisting precious time.

6. if you feel like the time you're wasting could be spent at a job making money and living your life.. then the 4-5 years you put in now will DEFINITELY help you down the line in the form of all the benefits that go along with having that degree. if you can manage to get a degree while enjoying yourself then it certainly isnt a waste of time.

edit: but then again only you know your specific situation so I of course advise you to choose based on your own personal priorities. but try to think long-term :)

7. #7 mechanix901, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
    yea im just getting a degree just to get say i have one. i hate college. seems like turning the switch off for good is a relief rather than an extreme.

but idk, oaksterdam university or w/e its called might help your situation haha but ehh not a real degree. become a botanist?

8. With all the potential profit in Mairjuana a business degree would be good if you wanted to handle that end of the deal. If you wanted to handle the legal aspect of it (lobbyist or something of that nature), then a law degree would be useful. Then again, if you wanted to grow/develop it, a botony or horticulture degree would be awsome. It all depends on what you area you want to work in I would say. Double major and a minor maybe? Or take some horticulture classes as free electives?

9. There is a growing trend of higher education institutions incorporating cannabis into their curriculum. This is likely due to the increasing acceptance of cannabis use among young adults. Cannabis studies programs are popping up at universities across the country, offering students the opportunity to learn about everything from cultivation to business and law. For those looking to enter the cannabis industry, online marijuana classes can provide a valuable foundation. And for those who simply want to learn more about this fascinating plant, these programs offer a unique perspective.

10. Ho
    Horticulture, finance, business...