Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

High Writing: Stories and Smoking

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by MisterCheezle, Jan 30, 2019.

1. I have been writing for 22 years and I smoked from the age 18 - 24 and am now back on the smoking part. So after about a month of doing both, I can tell you, it's good to be back. Writing stories is very much a task of passion and imagination and when I smoke, my mind gets sporadic and testy, but in a good way. When I am high, I am more likely to think way outside the box, sometimes thinking of descriptions that originally wouldn't seem important, but with a high mind, I can lavish that description to its fullest extent. Is writing more enjoyable when you're high? Definitely.

That's not to say writing high doesn't come with its downsides, though. There are times when I'm either too high or too tired to really think that hard and it starts to draw trouble for when I'm really trying to get a new project done to work on the next. Writing late at night is usually my M.O. but ever since I hopped back on the Trainnibus, I've been doing a lot of my writings after a good wake and bake. That normally fixes the problem.

Then there's the mistakes you're bound to make. Yes, I can write slowly and yes I can watch what I say. However, you have to keep up a pace of some sort, and writing as if I can't type well just can't do it, so my weeded brain will make a few typos and grammatical errors (and accidental plotholes). Again, easy fix, edit your damn work!

Yes, the ideas that come from your outlandish brain can be a little too out there. However, sometimes that's a really good thing. If you want something to work, sometimes you need to go off the beaten path. Sometimes you're just the right amount of high to get a breakthrough idea that changes your story for the better, and this has happened to me more than once. It's an interesting thing when you experiment with your stories to see how far you could stretch them without going nuts.

Remember to keep your wits about you when you write in your altered state. Sometimes, when you lose yourself too far into the story, things tend to go off rail and you forget what your original idea was. This is an awful thing. Very few stories do this, and only a few of them have worked (as far as I've seen). Keep your storyline tight and keep your characters within their normal personalities. It's so easy for your characters to act too high or silly when you're stoned, and once again, you'll end up doing more doctoring to your story as you clean up the mess you've just made because you're too HIGH, YOU DAMN HIPPY!

I've wanted to write about this conundrum known as High Writing (I call it that, anyway). I'm not going to lie, not everyone is cut out to be a writer, nor a smoker, and even less are cut out to be both. Please, if you would like to share some of your High Writing, put a link in your post. Some threads get ridiculously long because some stories are extremely long. Give us some background on it. Of course, as a story writer/novelist, I prefer stories with unique and interesting characters. But this can also pertain to thought journals, poems, and other tidbits of writing. Write about your experiences and how much you enjoy or hate writing while under the influence.

Oh, also, how many stories have you forgotten that you wrote as a result? I haven't been off the wagon long enough for that to happen. So the stories I forget were just written a long time ago.... probably while I was blazed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm too sociable to write: I once told my friends I'm about to write a book(big mistake)

as then... like maybe quitting smoking, they needle you constantly

some with great expectations

so I wait to break a leg or die of cancer

before I consider writting again

too lonely for me but if you have it shine it ..lol

good luck

ps but then I too lonely to play in a band lol