High risks: cannabis and psychosis (article)

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by pete_aus, May 30, 2011.

1. This is an article that i found interesting despite it challenging many of the views i hold, and i was wondering what people's thoughts were on it.

Bear in mind that we don't have the "reefer madness" culture in our media to the same extent as the US does, and this article is from a well respected news organization, so i don't think you can just discount it as propaganda (at least not as easily).

let me know you think...

I wasn't sure where to post this, so mods should feel free to move it if they think it belongs somewhere else.

2. They're full of shit. Mentally unstable people are simply more likely to use drugs and alcohol. In fact, the number one drug abused by crazy people is ALCOHOL. But you don't see any government legislating laws restricting alcohol sales to the mentally incompetent. It's a scare tactic. Plain and simple.

3. They never said anything about cannabis alone.

4. Read article and is same old same old but I must say this one was really crap.

Half the article wasn't even on the reason why it would induce psychosis, all it really said was if teens marijuana it could induce psychosis, and things along those lines.

Fun fact, if you use many pharmaceuticals while your body and brain are still developing, it can be detrimental.

Last I checked, doing drugs is not the only factor which will result in psychosis. If I remember correctly your more at risk to develop it quicker with the use of drugs but only if you have other predisposed conditions to go along with it.

This is really the last feasible straw for the prohibitionists to hang on to, and its not even that concrete.

Sorry if that didn't make much sense, way too loaded:smoke:

5. I agree completely, I have seen normal people turn into mentally unstable people through the use of pharmaceuticals. To be honest the most dangerous drug is controlled by big pharma and that is aamphetamines. I have experienced what amphetamines will do to you're brain and it is not good at all. If you have seen Requiem For a Dream then you saw what amphetamines did to the grandma. That movie is a great example at the mental damage pharmaceuticals will do to you.

6. yo smoker 209, not trying to be a dick... but it made me lol
    you say, "Half the article wasn't even on the reason why it would induce psychosis, all it really said was if teens marijuana it could induce psychosis, and things along those lines."

then follow up with using pharmaceuticals can be detrimental... without saying anything on how or why.
    not that i disagree, i just found it funny

7. I can't remember the last time I actually believed in non sense like this. Fucking shit, why can't the world just have a toke?

8. Read the article carefully.

It clearly says, Cannabis combined with detrimental shit, is detrimental to health.

Obvious is obvious, bleh.

9. Lol. This is funny shit. Getting high and listening to stuff like this is better than alot of shows on TV. It's especially funny when people tell me that cannabis has no medicinal value since I've experienced it's benefits and use it regularly. It's like telling a brain surgeon that he doesn't perform brain surgeries as part of his job.

10. -National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre
    -cocktailed by users
    -overseas studies
    -guesstimate

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFcqGGMPc3k"]YouTube - ‪Buzz Killington‬‏[/ame]

11. Im about to throw up.

After reading the entire article and reading the comments on the bottom...people over in Australia are being led the wrong way.

12. The percentage of people who have used cannabis continues to climb. The percentage of schizophrenics remains fairly stable. If cannabis causes schizophrenia, where are all the new cases?

Science: The development of the number of new schizophrenia cases in the UK does not support the hypothesis that cannabis use increases schizophrenia risk (news – 2009)
    \tInternational Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Cannabis use does not cause schizophrenia (news - 2006)
    \tCannabis use does not cause schizophrenia -Schizophrenia News-

Schizophrenia link to cannabis denied (news - 2009)
    Study rebuffs mental illness link with cannabis| Research set to re-open debate on legalisation

And finally, someone thought to ask some schizophrenics what THEY thought!

Do patients think cannabis causes schizophrenia? - A qualitative study on the causal beliefs of cannabis using patients with schizophrenia (full - 2010)
    Do patients think cannabis causes schizophrenia? - A qualitative study on the causal beliefs of cannabis using patients with schizophrenia

13. You don't see them because you are one! You drug smokers repent!

14. I love how anytime there is an argument as to why cannabis is bad, someway somehow, the discussion of other drugs comes in to play.

If its not the 'gateway' theory we're supposed to be so scared of, then its that cannabis is going to end up being used with the actual bad shit...such as they stated above. Alcohol, tabacco, amphetamines, etc. How about we just admit that cannabis isn't the problem, its the scapegoat.

15. I suppose it should be mentioned that the ABC are funded by the Australian Government.

16. Australian Broadcast Council? For some reason i thought that Australia had
    a more lenient stance towards illicit drugs and the like.

17. Yes but they said if cannabis alone were removed they think the incididences of schizophrennia would drop 8-14%.

Here's what's so misleading about their use of language. They claim it's a "high risk" for developing schizophrennia.

Schizophrennia only occurs in about 1% of the population, if adolescent pot use is increasing schizophrennia by 10% that means 0.1% more of the population is getting it. 1/1000. And the consensus is that this 0.1% more is due to being genetically predisposed to the disease.

Is this potentially worth worrying about? Yes, schizophrennia is a terrible disease that costs more than all forms of cancers combined to treat, but for the average user who this stuff is intended to scare it shouldn't mean much of anything.

Also: "statistically significant" doesn't necessarily mean that something is actually significant.

18. I believe as of recently I am experiencing psychosis; the feeling of disconnect from reality, but not to a severe extent. This seems to go away when I stop smoking for a few days. Coincidence? Doubtful. I don't think I'm developing schizophrenia, though I guess it's possible. Woe is me.