high pressure sodium lights

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BEn1990, Oct 22, 2010.

1. i have a few questions about these lights.

. are they the best lights for vegetative growth?

.is this light only used at the vegetative stage?

.do you buy a separate timer or a light with a timer?

.im getting a pack of 10-15 seeds how many lights do i need?

.what is the best wattage to get

.where can i get a good deal(uk stores) or are there any good sites to buy them from?

2. 1. MH (Metal halide) is best for vegetative growth. HPS is best for flowering. That being said, some people do use HPS for flowering and for vegging.

2. Answered above.

3. Separate timer. I don't think I have ever seen a light with a timer.

4. I wouldn't recommend growing all 15 seeds at once. General rule of thumb is 100W per plant. So, if you want to grow 4 plants you would want a 400W lamp.

5. It really depends on your space, ventilation, number of plants, etc.

6. I always recommend HTG supply for Internet ordering. You may want to look for a local hydro shop. They should sell lamps too.

Good luck.

3. thanks man!

4. I grow just with HPS and believe it's the best route to go. Does perfectly for veg stage, has great canopy penetration and of course, great for flowering. Also save ya some money...

If you want the best HPS, and have the money, get a 600W HPS.

5. how about 1000w or is that too strong?

6. 1000 W is fine depending on how many plants you are growing. Just remember, there is a higher initial and operating cost associated with a 1000W lamp. Also, heat can often become an issue.

Good luck.

7. I have Ed Rosenthals marijuana growers handbook and he states 600 W HPS is better then 1000 W HPS. I forget the reason why tho...

He also states the HPS should be used all througout the grow

and he's the King!