high-pressure hydroponics system?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by sruffstuff, Dec 7, 2013.

1. A: plant stem seal
    B: float valve 
    C: sealed container
    D: In-out pipe 
    E: pump
    F: reservoir

think it would work with any advantage?

View attachment 129913

2. First, what is a plant stem seal?

I think your basically describing a R-DWC, Or Recirculating Deep Water Culture. It's been done to death, with great success.

3. #3 MrMcFreely, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013
    I'm sure it would work its like a modified flood and drain crossed with dwc but 1000 times less efficient with space.

4. 1st. Thanks for the quick replys!
    2nd.This is just for conversation, I'm not trying to be a Green Einstein :)

let me be a little more specific. the float valve, 'plant stem seal' and container are to be air tight and capable of withstanding 28-30 psi. when full and float valve engaged. then when the pump cuts out the pressures drops and liquid drains back to the reservoir.
    gasses act different at high pressures they absorb in liquid much more easily, ever hear of 'The Bends'

plus the pressure difference between the plant and roots 'may' help to squeeze up some extra nutrients :)             

5. I think you would kill the plant.

6. #6 sruffstuff, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013
    Maybe but the xylem system is somewhat solid and transfers only one way, 30psi should not cause much shock the the root system. it would be a cool experiment.
    by the way a float valve is easy as hell to make just cut the bottom off a cup drop an appropriate sized rubber ball flip it upside-down and keep the ball from falling out 

7. Marijuana is not a balloon.

If you want to "force feed" anything and have success, look up foie gras. 

8. #8 jakesterjammin, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013

What's shocking is that the youth today do not even understand GRADE SCHOOL physics...  :rolleyes:
    WTF are the schools teaching the kids of today, because in my time, a 3rd grader would see this CANNOT WORK....

Look at it this way, the chamber is "air tight", so to downscale the idea, let's look at a straw, you know, the kind you get at your favorite fast food place....

Stick the straw in the drink, cover the top of the straw so it's "air tight", then pull the straw from the cup....
    WHAT HAPPENS?????  :confused_2:

The liquid stays in the straw...........  Right?????

WHY??????
    Come on now, this is basic grade school science here!!!

So you believe your project is going to break the laws of physics  :confused_2:
    Never mind that question, tell me WHY the liquid stays in the straw when it's removed from the cup.....
    And then WHY does the liquid flood from the straw (rush out of) when you remove your finger from creating an "air tight" seal on the top of the straw...

If this kid cannot tell us WHY, then I suggest ALL PARENTS pull their kids from the schools and teach them yourselves...
    Because the school systems are a joke if this damn kid cannot answer a simply grade school science question.....

Maybe is was sick that week in school  :confused_2:
    :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

9. #9 sruffstuff, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
    well you are right about the straw. (fighting the urge to lash-out lol)
    The float valve will only engage when the water level hits it. only after that the container becomes air tight. 

10. How can the straw drain if the top if airtight?????
    You DID NOT answer my question, and I do not care if you like fitting pipes or not.......  lol

What MUST a "void" be filled with according to basic grade school science???
    Or do you not know????  :confused_2:

Because it's CLEAR to me you do not know, if you did, you'd know WHY you're little invention will NOT work......   ;)

11. Please before anyone else that cannot comprehend a float valve posts google it first. I would suggest to you my friend to start slow. go in to your toilet (shitter) and lift off the back you might be surprised lol 

Now you see water has more mass then air and therefore heavier. when the pump cuts out the water wants to drain back to the lowest point in the system and when doing so negative-pressure is achieved dislodging the float valve.

here is a quick pic for you to understand.
    View attachment 130042

12. ROFLMAO
    There is so many things which will cause this not to work, it's kind of sad in a way.....
    And you did finish high school right???  <_<

Build it and let's see it work......  ;)
    Because I'll bet anything that you simply will stop posting and we'll NEVER see it work as you intended.....  :hide:

13. The idea of having the root system under higher Pressure then the plant itself intrigued me so I tossed it out.
    Physics aside, after conversing with some top forum members this Hi-Pressure system WILL MOST LIKELY KILL A PLANT! lol 
    \n@[member="jakesterjammin"] I do not have a license to grow :( and yes this will most likely be the last post I make with this account ;) 

14. #14 bizie, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
    :eek: Someone needed to smoke before replying to that one...wow

I think in a nicer way; he's just trying to say that there is no way the plant would transpire properly.

The plant has to keep a proper turgor pressure through transpiring. As water evaporates the pressure causes intake through osmosis on the roots. Forcing a higher rate of transpiration through increased osmotic pressure would over saturate the plant and it would die; I would assume.

You could try and see if the plant is capable of adapting to some sort of pressure increase on the roots. 30psi or whatever you were talking about would probably be way too high for the plant to adjust to. Maybe 1psi and see if that doesn't kill it. Where did you come up with 30psi? You'd think the plant would try to transpire at a faster rate if the roots were under a positive osmotic pressure. On the straw topic; that's not under pressure though..Your finger on top of the straw is causing negative pressure; due to gravity pulling down on the liquid. There will be a open space at the top of the straw that has negative pressure...  Add a little positive pressure on the other side of the straw (remove your finger) and the liquid will flow, regardless of the 'seal', Right? Yeah; I know I am, because this is just grade school physics... :ey: :poke: Besides all of that, even if he were to seal the reservoir completely the gas/pressure/water or whatever would theoretically try to escape via the stomata, so its not completely sealed, in theory. If the stomata were to be put under positive pressure, then yeah; you're a idiot that has no education, but positive pressure on the roots? Try it and lets see how the plant responds. It would be fun to watch. I'm not sure what the heck you're going to use for a stem seal because that size is going to be constantly changing. The stem seal is the hardest thing on here for me to make sense of.

I don't think you have room to say, "you must not have graduated high school". Then go prove your level of education by saying something like-

And btw Mr. education: you over use the comma... :laughing:  Try a semi-colon once in a while. Comma's need conjunctions, unless listing items. Commas are the most misused punctuation. I use to think you were one of the wiser and more mature ones on here, but after hearing you ridicule this guy I can see I was wrong; just another kid with too much time in front of the cpu...

@[member="PhyChris"], Good job ignoring that. More mature then I.
    :bolt:

15. Try a semi-colon once in a while. Comma's need conjunctions, unless listing items. Commas are the most misused punctuation. I use to think you were one of the wiser and more mature ones on here, but after hearing you ridicule this guy I can see I was wrong; just another kid with too much time in front of the cpu... 
    @[member="PhyChris"], Good job ignoring that. More mature then I.
    :bolt:

Kurt Vonnegut said, "Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college." Not that I have a dog in this fight. Just sayin.

16. all of you guys are really missing the point here. Yeah, if it could work, the plant would die. jakester I don't see what you're getting at here I don't think you quite understand exactly what he's explaining.

here's why the system wouldn't work-the stem is always changing shape and size. you couldn't create a solid seal around it.

//end thread

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 sruffstuff, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
    I got the 30 psi number from a vary quick look in to Decompression sickness and force carbonating water. CO2 seems to easily remain liquid in water around that level 'I think'

Edit: I was assuming to start this system at the flowering stage. when there is (to my understanding) much less stem growth. I seen a Dog Berry tree-branch grow through an iron ring that was once hung there with ease but now looks like a tied long balloon. well did look like ( the tree was trimmed later when the branch got too close to the house)

Edit: This thread is only going to confuse people. Remember 'WILL MOST LIKELY KILL A PLANT!'   You can tie this one up
    Thanks for the replys on this guys. 

18. You're a tard.....  lmfao

19. #19 sruffstuff, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
    @jakesterjammin OOooh, I get it now. Your pretending to be incoherent, WARPED on bud and trolling. That explains all the laughing. you cunny hole :)

20. you both need to relax. jakester, you usually have good information to give while gently belittling people, s'my style I usually enjoy your posts. but let this one go man kid was just throwing an idea out there.

and sruffstuff no need to pull out namecalling here to try to make jakester feel bad for what he said, I can tell you now it wont work. seriously though,

//end thread