High E.C/PPM Run Off

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by datgrowguy, May 17, 2018.

1. Hi guys,

This is my first post and I just want some advice on E.C run off in coco. I have done a few grows now with GREAT success probably due to the fact I am obsessed with making my grow run 100% and good feed/boosters.

My set up -
    600 watt HPS
    5 plants from seed - 3 x Extreme Cream Regulars 2 x blue cheese feminised
    20 litre air pots
    Pebbles + Coco 60/40
    Feed - Aptus All in one @ 0.6 E.C
    PH - 5.8

I am currently 3 weeks after germination and things are looking good, I watched a video by grateful grower on youtube and he was talking about an advanced grow tip where you need to run through 3x the amount of feed through the coco to get an E.C the same you put in the top as you get from the bottom. I have never done this so I thought I would test the run off. I collected all the run off of my 5 plants and checked the E.C and to my surprise it was 2.8! and ph 6.8. One of my plants seems to have stunted growth however this was an OLD seed. I am thinking of taking one plant, putting her in the bath and feeding her so I get LOTS of run off to cleanse the coco. A friend thinks I might over water but I read you cant overwater in Coco because of how much the coco can absorb.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

2. I have never checked my EC going in or coming out, but I do check the pH. Do you always feed to run off? How often do you feed? If the run off pH gets out of range, I run several gallons of nute solution through it to adjust it.

3. because I grow straight away in 20 litre pots I usually don't run off for a week or so (i'm starting to think I need to start off in small pots for this reason after reading your post) So I have only done run off for the last few feeds, I feed every 2 days, again after reading your post every day makes sense when you compare it to a hydroponic grow, I have air stones sat below the domes in the air post (highly recommend) as I have tried with and without and the results (root growth) are incredible. so I read what you do with your coco before you use it and I haven't done that, that is my problem I think. So you recommend running several gallons of nute solution through, that's what I was thinking, I will need to put it in the bath tub because there will be lost of run off, right?

4. If you're only 3 weeks from sprouting - what problems with the plants are you experiencing? I can't imagine a problem in the first 3 weeks. Can you explain the air stones? I don't understand. And yes the run off is waste - hence the name drain to waste hydroponics.

5. only one is a problem but as its had the same conditions as the others. I'm just worried because the EC/PPM was VERY high from the bottom and that was a tad worrying. air stones are the things you have in a fish tank to aerate the water, i have one with 8 ports on and sit the air stones (that connect to the airline) in the tray touching the roots.

Attached Files:

6. here's one I planted at the same time that looks much better

Attached Files:

7. and here's one that I planted a week earlier (3 weeks ago)

Attached Files:

8. I know what an airstone is - I just don't know how you are using it with coco in an air pot. Air stones are immersed in water to provide oxygen to the solution. Are you allowing nute solution to sit in the tray? Based on your 60/40 hydroton pebbles/coco mix, I suggest you feed to run off every day. Hydroton pebbles if not rinsed thoroughly will initially raise your pH. Also, if you don't feed to run off each time you will get salt build up which will increase your ppm's.

9. No I remove the nute solution from the bottom until the roots are present coming out of the bottom of the pots, then they drink it themselves. Here is a pic on how i use the airstones

Attached Files:

10. I still don't understand the purpose of the airstone - yours is just sitting in a puddle. Aren't they made to be submerged in water? The bottom of the airpot is designed to air prune the roots, not drink from a saucer.

11. they provide extra oxygen for the roots, it makes them root quicker as they can sense the oxygen, and if your feed is ever sat in the tray it keeps it oxygenated and prevents the feed from going stale, at least so i've been told. in this photo its not doing anything but in 2 weeks the WHOLE bottom of the tray will be full with roots. I tried it without the first few grows and then was told to give it a try, the results were incredible

12. i will repost a pic in 2 weeks and you can compare it to your root growth

13. #13 MickFoster, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Roots sensing oxygen from an unsubmerged air stone? Forgive me, but I still don't understand. So you're not doing a DTW at all - you're doing some kind of bottom feed? Do you feed from the top or do you just fill the tray and let them drink?
    My run off never sits in a tray - it drains out into a bucket and thrown away.

14. No I feed from the top, after my plants are 4+ weeks from seed the roots are substantial. I dont DTW I feed them until there is run through usually a litre or so sits in the bottom, 6 hours later the roots have took up all the feed from the tray.

15. Now I understand - it was a little confusing. :) So you are doing drain to waste but you're using the waste. I don't doubt that it works for you - my only concern would be the ppm's of the waste because each time you feed to run off it washes out excess salts. How do you keep the tips of the roots that grow out of the bottom from shriveling up and dyeing? That's what air pruning is - mine are all shriveled at the tips. Good luck. :thumbsup:

16. Thats what mine was like thats why I started using the air pump and even though its dry for 24 hours they dont dry up, only thing i changed is adding an air pump :)

17. never checked that out bro, hows your plants going now?
    dont you want your roots in the pot not outside of it?
    coco is pretty much hydro anyway?
    chuck sum pics up will be cool to see, sounds very unique !!
    also what prompted you to use hydroton & coco?