high CBD R-4. advice on collecting pollen.

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by wombat#, Oct 7, 2018.

1. hi medical user here , does anyone have experience growing R-4 ?
    i am wondering if I make seeds from 2 males and 1 female that have grown from 420seedguys R-4 strain seeds will they be true to type?
    I also plan to store much pollen in little screwtop vials with silicia pouches an both the fridge and freezer,so I can cross with thc beauties later, to up the cbd ratio in a new strain and see what eventuates.

2. DSCN3380.JPG DSCN3371.JPG DSCN3377.JPG
    pollen collected stored and used ; I have one shorter later maturing male and one taller and earlier , I have brushed the pollen on each half of the female , four weeks into flower , and have struck 6 clones .
    this is my first go at breeding so I'm reading about genetics and trying to understand what i'll get in the way of offspring.
    The sister /brother cross of the R4 seeds i got will give what? is it likely to be very variant?
    I hope to make 'female' pollen on one of the clones using colloidal silver to get seeds to preserve the strain.
    how am I doing? comments and advice welcome.:love-mj2: DSCN3371.JPG DSCN3377.JPG DSCN3380.JPG

3. the seeds do form very quickly, just five days later... anybody know how long until they are mature? I think I read 8-9 weeks after pollination on a thread.
    DSCN3434.JPG DSCN3433.JPG

4. this is how I roll:

as the plants mature I place the male each night in his own closet

on an 40 degree angle(place a dvd or book under the pot)

then slide a sheet of glass or mirror up against the stem

the deal being as the pollen falls overnight its gathered in the morning

then dabbed onto the females pistols

with either a brush or cotton bud(best) or ur finger

I do this over 2-3 days ensuring each site is color tagged or id'ed with the strain name

I then terminate the male, often I'm doing 3-4 strains at the same time

in which case I take the top most stem(6-8 inches) and keep him fresh in a vase of water

and apply the pollen when ready

I apply the pollen in a closed clean room kitchen is good

once the females are pollinated I leave to sit for about an hour

then mist heavy with water including the air in the kitchen

its highly highly contagious

the bigger the male plant the more chance of pollen infecting other plants is why I trim him down

often the very first pollen can be a waste of time and even be sterile in some strains

what in fact you are doing brother onto sister

is back crossing and you shouldn't doit to often as all you are doing is undoing the previous breeders efforts

I don't store my pollen but I have dome like seeds add a teaspoon of uncooked

rice to a med bottle add your pollen or seeds and store for up to a year in your freezer

my average age of my seeds is about 12 years mostly landraces

heres a link to some good reads

http://catnews.org/FREE Pot Books/Greg Green - The Cannabis Grow Bible (4th Edition).pdf

good luck

I leave the seeds to mautre as long as I can maybe a month longer than the harvest date ...

long is good

• Like Like x 1
  5. I mixed a little table flower with my pollen in a jar before freezing, it worked great 3 months after collecting. I am sure it would last much longer, but I got the seeds I wanted so I threw out the remaining.

6. and after little while ..
    28 days to this
    DSCN3486.JPG DSCN3492.JPG
    they were already popping out onto the floor by day 40 ,so this sample is after cutting down and a few days hanging , plenty of ripe seeds.
    next is to start colloidal silver spray on a clone to make male parts for S1 seeds.
    the buds are still quite resinous and have a dank earthy lemony smell .
    only a little while till I can try vaping some.:volcano::yay: