Hiding my plants from my children.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Stoney Shibu, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Me and my wife are looking to start growing some small plants, but ofcourse .. kids are very curious, ive been looking around online for a small affordable grow box that doesnt look obvious,(they all look like big boxes with two doors on the front) i recently seen one that was built out of a pc! (Love it haha) But anyways yeah, tips, advice, sites to help me, anything that helps please let me know :) my biggest concern is odor and sound, im planning on putting it high up in our closet. Thanks in advance! (Prefer a smalllll one no bigger then 2 feet for a few small plants)

2. If you dont mind me asking, whats the point of hiding it from your kids?

Ive seen some dressers turned into grow boxes but noise is going to be an issue. You have to have fans. Carbon filter for the odor but theyrengoing to smell during flower when u need to mess with your plants

I dont have kids, but imo id start a vegetable garden outside with some mint and whatnot and explain to your kids the herbs inside need special light and special care.

• Like Like x 3
  3. If youre looking for a microgrow groweedeasy.com has a great tutorial for a space bucket. One larger plant allowed to grow will yield more than 2 tiny plants in a pc

• Like Like x 2
  4. Im not looking for quantity just something small, and i just feel comfterble letting my kids be kids. I had no idea what weed was til i was 12 and started smoking it right after, i feel the earliest they should get into that is 16. But they are 5 and 9 years old. And my 9 year old is always going through things she shouldnt be(playing with knives getting paint on the wall and hiding it etc) id really prefer not going into detail about the subject me and my wife just want this nice little project to our selves, there isnt much "adult" activities you can do with kids around.

• Like Like x 1
  5. If you never had a 3 year old running around for more than 1 year you wouldn't understand.
    Literally, nothing is safe. @Stoney Shibu , i would look around for a plastic closet organizer or if you and your wifey wanna do a PC case grow too that would work.
    If you get a plastic organizer you would be able to keep it locked and I doubt the kids would be able to get into a PC case.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Im looking for something disquisable, ive seen the space bucket and its a stack of buckets :L the pc one i saw(sold out) looked like a real pc, i need so.ething like that but affordable. Ive been looking around and i cant really find anything. (And please no more mentions of kids let it be "i need a grow box that looks like a household object or something similar")

7. Well what's your price range man?
    If you have the knowledge and tools you could probably set up your own PC case for under $80. There's tons of old PC cases laying around in GoodWill stores and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. If you have a closet big enough for a grow tent you just need lights, a fan or two, and a carbon filter and you're golden bro!!! Duck paying $300-$500 a tent when you CAN make yor own on the cheap!!! Get you some 1/4"-1/2" pvc and a 2 door 2 man camping tent. Make your frame to your specs and drape the tent around it w/zipper doors at desired entryways and fold the excess canvas, nylon or whatever and duct tape it to mold to your frame. Unless your wife or you are good with a sewing machine duct tape is fine. After all, you want your bud to be pretty, screw the tent. Saves you money you could put into lights, fans, filters and seeds. It will get the job done. Stay Green

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have grandkids so I feel your pain. Luckily they aren't allowed in "Pop's Basement". When they get older it could be problematic, but I'll have kicked their asses out by then!
    But I'll miss em. :D

Be kind. Perfect your craft. Give more than you take. We are family.

• Like Like x 3
  10. My price range would be $150-200 for starting and then i will be upgrading parts etc from there. I feel id have no trouble building one from scratch its just that im looking for something i can just buy, i know its hard to find that. But thats why im here,

11. Lol mook

12. If you checkout amazon, they have some good deals on grow tents, i got mine for about $100 its a very well made tent, you could probably get a smaller one for the closet for about $70 and maybe a 300w light system for about $130? 6inch vent fans are about $20.
    My 600w was $140, dual HPS/MH magnetic w/hood and two bulbs included.
    Also to keep the kids out you could buy those TSA locks they sell everywhere next to luggage.
    I STRONGLY ADVISE against going to any local hydroponics store or general gardening store for ANY of the fore mentioned equipment as the markup is often 300% of the prices I i suggested.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seriously, if you only have $200 max then pvc, camping tent that you probably already have and 400w-600w light setup from internet for no more than $125, fans you probably have and buy a new carbon filter for odor control. If you get low odor plant seeds like bubblegum or something sweet smelling you don't need a filter in a tent IMO. I have seen it done under $200 and still doin fine. If you already own these things you really just need to buy some cheap pvc and lights unless you have those too. In that case you could build one for $20 for real!!! Don't get hung up on looks, you want performance and functionality. Stay Green

• Like Like x 1
  14. You can find a mars hydro led 300w for about $70 on ebay or amazon, new. You can find a knock off grow tent for a bout $80 as well. You need to give more details tho. Where will this grow be located?

15. No, I understand. He lacked the age of his children. 3 and 6 years old are two completely different ballgames. Some kids are mature enough at 6 or 7 to not fuck shit up but some arent. Im not the parent of his kid so i wouldnt know. Hence why my post said im not a parent.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The math don't add up, he only has $200 max and digital dimmable ballasts are smaller, lighter and run a lot cooler for the same price or less. Got mine from Amazon too. Apollo 600w digital dimmable, both mh/hps compatible for $125. Not bashing your gear just tryin to help out a newb. We basically run the same set up just a big size and heat factor. Stay Green

• Like Like x 1
  17. This is known as life coming "full circle".

First you had to hide the mj from your parents.
    Now you have to hide it from your kids.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 6
  18. I have a 4 and 6 year old and they are lil shits , love them to death of course. I have some stealth grows going on now but for the most part they know where they are allowed and not allowed. I've only had one insistent where she saw me going into the "bathroom" and asked what I was doing. Made a poop joke and she forgot all about it. Locks are your friend and so are "birthday presents ".

• Like Like x 1
  19. Damn you guys teach your kids what's up its a great fucking plant with great fucking healing ability shit heals cancer ffs .

----------------------------------
    there's certain accidents where you may be drunk and on drugs.
    but it's going to happen weather you are or your not
    -Ricky

• Like Like x 2