HIDaholic with LED questions for you guys and gals

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by realdealz28, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Hi all.... Been a while but I've decided to bring my question here.... So I'm avid HIDer, 600 MH two for veg, and 4 1000s hps for flower side. I'm not doing anything to flower side so moment so don't try lol just picking.

Ok so I'm thinking about switching my veg side only, the two 600 mh, to 2 700-900 Mars 2 led or that V name.... No I'm not good enough to build one those high power led boards nor do I have time. My question is this though,

I'm use to getting around 6-10 oz per plant when done, and I veg about month sometimes tiny bit longer but no more than 1.5 months for time restraints. Will these LEDs get me plants this size that when I flip and stick in HID flower side I'll keep getting the 6-10oz plant ( I know this isn't killer but I get about. 7-.8 g per watt but I'm running co2 also.... Thanks all I hope this helps..

I know the 315w cmh will give me power decrease also but for veg side I kinda want to try these LEDs for veg. Later I can get the CMH for flower. But I can't afford the kind brand or any brand that's gonna cost me grand just for light. Thanks again maybe y'all can help.

***I already understand they do half actual power at box, that's why I was thinking 700-900.

O almost forgot.. all I need it to cover is enough to get 3-4 big ones in pics at time, plus 3-4 rooted lil ladies to take place when big gone.... And my lil clone box just set off in corner. Here's pics of the size I'll need, I use 5-7 gallon smart pots... The big ones about 2.5ft x 2.5 wide maybe 3i cant reach around really

Attached Files:

2. I'm sure they (LED's) would veg your plants to as big as you have room for and time for....Is it the TIME factor in question here?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes that's what I was saying in post...I need it to keep up with same exact production as my 600w HID mh.... No more than month or month and half max veg

4. I think YES, But let's get some more heads on this...Maybe someone here has already done it...?

5. Yeah that's more on what I was going for but thanks anyways

6. I'm not an LED user myself, but they are good lights. The HID lamps are the closest thing to natural sunlight we have right now which is why you are getting large plants in a short span of time. The LED'S will probably do it too, but usually the issue with them is lack of coverage area so you have to have more fixtures to do the job when dealing with multiple plants. Have you looked into the new lights out now which are a combo HPS/HID. They are tons cheaper than LEDs and run cooler than HPS/HID and get same output with less wattage. I'm gearing up to switch out our HPS fixtures to those this winter. We run 4 1000 watters per room for flower. I just use T5's for veg myself just to not have to deal with heat issues. They're a bit slower but get the job done. Upgraded veg bulbs last year to some new tubes on the mkt recommended to me by the grow store. They are $25 or so a tube, but made a huge difference in rate of growth in vegging plants. TWW

7. LED's will veg shorter with tighter nodes. You can do a lot better for quality of led.

8. I already use 2 600 switchable veg and 4 1000 switchable...

I'm no noob but what do you mean hps/HID...hps is a HID... That's lil confusing...

Once again not trying to be mean please don't take this way but I'm looking for input from LED users that have used HID for years too... Just I already know what my MH does I'm just trying to lower power bill some and not lose any plant...

I may be using too much for veg anyways. Thanks though

9. Are there any more affordable brands or is Mars 2 and the V name pretty much it... I'm thinking 2 900w mars2

10. I've been growing with leds for about 2 years. I was using California lightworks vegmaster 110's at about 11 watts per square foot. You can veg with extremely low power. There's a lot of money to be saved there with led's over the dual 600's but if you want to do it right it won't be that cheap. How big is the veg area?

11. So have you used HIDs before and have you used LEDs.... Which do you currently use, any suggestions on LEDs if you've used both

12. I'd replace each 600 with 4 of these but I'm crazy. If you caught them when just the boards were in stock they're only $29 each. 4 of them would only be $120 and a driver isn't that bad. Maybe $50 for high quality.
    Horticulture Lighting Group 65 Watt Quantum Board LED Lamp

The only way to get top end led for affordable prices is to DIY a little. It's a light. You just bring power to it and it turns on. It's not like building a computer.

• Like Like x 2
  13. My veg area is 2 600s mh about 8x4 but I can go lil wider...I normally do 4- 7gal big plants about month btw every run, perpetual bc I have 2 rooms, so I get 4 big 4 smaller (the pics for example of big and small) then 4-5 clones

14. 4 big, 4 smaller, 4 clones

15. All in 8*4 with the clones off to side

16. 4 of those boards can easily veg a 4x4 with 240 watts total for 4 boards. They put out amazing amount of light for the wattage.

• Like Like x 1
  17. How hard is it to do are they that much better and not gonna burn my house down......

If I was gonna just buy 2 any suggestions

18. I actually veg a 4x4 with 2 qb120's at only 120 watts total but I'll probably add a third next crop.

19. But your saying I'd need 8 those why can't I run 2 big ones

20. The ones I linked you come ready to go. Just plug and play not building involved. They are $98 each though and you can build for around $60 each if you source your own parts.