HID vs LED

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Newbudspud, Apr 5, 2017.

1. #42 Lucky Luke, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    To be fair 36" is to high for a HID. The comparison should of been at optimal heights for both lights

Efficiency is what LED is about. To bad it costs so much.

A watt of energy to light is a watt of heat. (tis science bro..equal reactions and stuff) What the difference is, is your not heating a gas or the glass on the fixture.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I can get my 1000w Hortilux Superbulb 18 inches from the top. From my observation, it seems HID Penetrates way more vs LED.

• Like Like x 1
  3. This is true. In my opinion light diminishes faster on leds because of its direction comming off the board as compared to a xl reflector with a cooltube how light can be bounced around the room at different angles from all aound the bulb. Id like to experiment with leds on a string like christmas lights strung on a plant like a christmas tree.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Are you a commercial grower? I used to work for this company Rocky Mountain High in Colorado, I just quit the other week. Just to inform you though the commercial weed industry is stupid as shit, and not a good industry really to be in right now either. Not to mention most people that work in the industry don't know what they're doing and aren't open to learning or trying anything new. All of these commercial growers that say HID over LED any day, most likely have never even grown using an LED, so how would they even know what's the better light. Anyway's in one of our grower meetings we were talking about production and boutique strains. I brought up using LED lights for the boutique strains, and our master grower said that at our facility in New Jersey had an LED room with the Spyder BML by Fluence that was pulling down more weight and better product then the 1000 watt DE's. The main reason LED's are not being used in commercial grows is because there still relatively new, cost a lot and they have a bad rep from people not using them right or getting shitty lights. They're are commercial places making the switch to LED's, and they're getting the same yields if not better, not to mention the quality is better too. There are LED lights that out perform HID set ups for fact. I would say there's a learning curve when you make the switch, but theres plenty of info out there on how to get the most yield with LED lights. A 1000 watt equivalent LED does still get pretty hot, but it's not nearly as hot as an HPS. You'll save money on cooling, bulbs, ballasts, and electricity. I don't like how the HID bulbs have mercury in them either were growing a natural medicine we shouldn't be polluting the earth in the process. If I were to use an HID system, I would at least use a 315 or 630 CMH. They give off less heat then HPS, get just as good yields, CRI is better and runs at pretty much half the watts as 600 or 1000 SE HPS. Right now I'm growing with the CLW Solar System series and they're killing it. I have yet to use them in flower, but they're about to flip in the next 3 days. My friend in cali is using the solar storm 880 with UV-b and he's getting plenty good yields and product with them. The Solar System series should be better though since it has the added white spectrum, except for the SS275 which only has red and blue. the Solar System controller is super dope a lot of stuff you can do with it and super easy to use. they'll also be coming out with far red fixture and UV-b fixtures beginning of next year which will make the lights even better. The far red is to create the Emerson Effect, and the UV-b for more potency. HPS light are proven to work and they work well, that's the main reason why it's still the most used light. LED's are getting better each year though and are the future.

5. I'm with you on a good chunk of this.
    I don't believe it's relevant to say leds are better because they run cheaper and very slightly cooler.

What is the equivalent to a 1000w hps in led?
    That is a big question.

My latest creation...SOUR DEISEL, STRAWBERRY HAZE first run to test before the gorilla glue #4 go in!
    SOUR DEISEL, STRAWBERRY HAZE & GHOST WRECK

6. I don't believe saying an LED is better then an HID just because it runs cheaper and puts off less heat. It is something that does make it better then an HID setup though. If it's a cheap-o LED that's made in China and doesn't have a good spectrum it's not going to run as good as an HID setup, and that's fact. If you put the money down on a good LED you'll get good quality bud and yield, and if you don't like the light then sell it after harvesting and cut your losses of a couple hundred bucks. I feel like most people that make the switch though are used to growing under an HPS. They do one run with an LED, it doesn't get as much as their HID does and they start blaming the light. I've seen instances too where people think they'll get the same off a 600 watt equivalent LED as a their 1000 watt HID setup. I skateboard and sometimes I think it's board that's messing me up when it's acatully me. For me it feels like the same thing happens with LED's. I think if people put more time into them and got more experience with them, then people would have better things to say. Like I said I skate, and I'm sure none of you could just do an ollie in a day, it takes time. Same thing when you switch from HID to LED your going into whole new ball park you gotta adjust some stuff. You can't expect it to just work out the same. I can't set up for kickflip and do a heelflip, two different tricks. HID and LED two different lights, so don't you think the plant might grow differently being under a different spectrum and lighting? You have to adjust and if you can't that's the growers own fault not the light. I would say any LED that runs 600-800 watts is a 1000 watt se/de HID setup, I mean the whole point of led is to use typically half the amount of power that an HID light uses, so your saving energy and being better on the environment since they don't have mercury, you're also able to hit any spectrum you want with LED's. LED's are just as good as HID's if your willing to spend the money, they are getting cheaper each year though. The Optic6 is only $700 and is a 1000 watt DE equivalent, puts off a 4x4 foot print in flower and at 2ft from the center of light it's putting off 1550+ par. They also have 5 year warranty, which seems to be the standard on most LED lights now. It really doesn't matter what light you use though IMO, too me as long as your having fun and are satisfied with what's coming down then that's all that counts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fwiw a lot of the best lads are made in China lol but I understand what ya saying there man.
    Your bang on with that many people do the exact same in marine fish and coral growing...
    I can Ollie but that's it haha. I used to skate as a teen.
    I think I may go ra led on my next set looking at them they look amazing and it would make my set up far easier to use.
    I mean id prefer 2 smaller led units to 1 large hps that I currently use for heat reasons nothing more really.
    I think if your good at both ways then u can probably achieve the same either way it'll just cost slightly less and be easier to cool. I think the training and nutrient lines/method of growing are the key to these ladies...
    Like u say man as long as your happy and enjoying it that's what matters... hey n if your stoned your doing a good job lol

Sent from my SM-G955F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Not really 28-36" is about average for HID, especially for proper coverage

9. Yea there are some good LED's that come from china, but it seems like most people try to stay away from LED's from there. I bought the kind k5xl1000 great light, but one of them lost it's foot print and would turn on at 5 am even though i had it set for 7 am after just one run with them, they come out of China and are supposed to be the best. I switched to the CLW which is American and so far they way better then the kind. Yea I never heard of those LED's, but as long you do your research and see what other people think it should just as good or better as an equivalent HID setup. Yea I would have prefer 2 LED's of 1 HID too, I'm sure if you ran two 1000 watt LED's next to one HPS it be just as hot if not a tad cooler. Exactly if you've been growing for awhile, you should be able to switch lights and achieve the same weight, and if your not like I said it's most likely the grower not being able to adapt or not even wanting to try to adapt to a new light so they immediately go back to the HID. I feel like to if you have the space and are able to do it, it's good to try out the led and get used to it before you put it your main spot, so it's like you already know what's up instead of it not being as good as you expected.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Check out the optic6 LED's $700 for a 1000 watt de equivalent, 4x4 footprint in flower, built in timer from like 10-24 hours, veg and bloom mode, and best of all its hitting 1550+ par at 2ft from the canopy(the middle of light of course). They use 6 crew LED's for veg, which puts off 1000 par at 2 ft whith out the 5 watt bloom enhancehers (hope I spelled that right). They should have UV and IR too.

11. [​IMG]

12. my last grow was in soil and I used a 400 watt hps and the leds only and got some nice plants for real.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

13. This is the new system I sent a pic of the lights . this us DIY rdwc. 1000 watt mh and two 96 reflectors. Have a 1000 watt hps also. The mix is amazing to me. And with it in hydro they are taking off . you can see where the led is stronger than the hps at a point . [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. There's the roots. I love growing hybrid . two mars 96 reflectors is the green lights [​IMG]

15. Is that 4ft x 4ft mate?
    Is that going to equal a good quality 600w hps set up for yield and taste?

I don't like them to be more then 14 inches away

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gotcha I use 600w hps now. Thing is I grow 18 or 20 4 groups 4 or 5 so it's need 4 of them that gets preeeeeettty fucking expensive as opposed to buying bulbs lol

18. #60 Bravedave, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    In my situation (grow room built in unheated barn near the US/Canadian border) the heat and electricity savings is close to nothing. I have to add heat to my room 9 months a year. Its is not that I have to insulate more (I have plenty), but I have to compensate for my passive intake pulling in cold air. There are a few weeks every summer where I wish had AC but I can and do get buy without it. I cannot "get by" without adding heat.
    In another thread we hashed this out a bit and at least I concluded that the only heat/electricity advantage there is to an LED is the assumptioin that a heater will be more efficient in heating up my room than the extra wattage/heat that my 600W MH/HPS system produces. But bottom line is that a 300(true)W LED system (assuming that is close to equal in yield production) still has to make up for the extra 300W of heat by bulb creates.
    Speaking of yield...I have averaged over a lb for years now. Do 300(true)W LEDs produce a lb in a 110 day start to finish grow??
    When I started I bought those bulbs that were over $60 a crack and now have found that the yields I get from $30 Plantmax bulbs to be indistinguishable. I also run by bulbs for 5,000 hours which is less than half of what they are generally guaranteed for. That is 208 days at 24 hours a day. Because I run my MH a couple weeks after the flip and a week or two at the very end I split the days between my MH and my HPS. That, of course, is not splitting the time because the HPS is only on 12/12 while my MH is generally 24/0. Regardless, I get about 1.5 years and 5 grows out of my $70 in bulbs (and I still get a lb out of that 5th grow)
    Even if we can safely say that a 300(true)W LED will produce at the same level as a 600W HID their total costs have to be real close for "me" in my situation to consider them. If I can replace my 600W system for $150 (I can) then what can I get an equivilent and completed LED for? $600? $900? Lets say $600...So, say, I am starting a brand new grow business with limited capital but space for growth. Also, say, my budget limits me to $1200 in lights. Do I buy 8, 600w HID systems?...or 2 LED systems? Does the extra 6 POUNDS make up for the extra electricity? Certainly.

• Like Like x 1