HID vs LED

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Newbudspud, Apr 5, 2017.

1. HD? you mean HID?

2. Yes sorry. Typo. And easier on the wallet to right? What about yields?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #4 Grumbledore, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Few things i can think of to consider

LED pros
    Excellent light spectrum
    Low heat
    Relatively cheap to run

LED cons
    High start up cost

HID/MH&HPS pros
    Excellent PAR ratings
    Relatively low start up cost

HID/MH&HPS cons
    Expensive too run on electricity and require bulb changes more frequently
    HPS especially get very hot
    Targetted light spectrum if using MH and HPS but still not as good as LED

I haven't used it so couldn't say about yield but LED does seem to be the future

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. But from beginning to end of one crop the cost will balance out pretty much. That's what I've noticed. Just would like to know the difference in growth between both of them

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. #6 Grumbledore, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    How these lights perform is very species specific as said in this article

LEDS SUPPLEMENTAL LIGHTING FOR VEGETABLE TRANSPLANT PRODUCTION: SPECTRAL EVALUATION AND COMPARISONS WITH HID TECHNOLOGY

Unfortunately you wont find much cited and scientific information regarding the cultivation of cannabis. All the research at the moment goes into understanding medical uses not cultivation so it leaves us with well drawn up articles like the below to draw conclusion from. He thinks HPS yield better for cannabis but there is plenty of others who say different

HPS vs LED

There may be amateur side by sides out there for comparison too

6. Be more of a challenge to keep room heated with led I'm thinking. All depend on the room size I guess

7. They both use electricity the same way. One watt is one watt. Not sure how you will save on power using the same wattage. You will not yield more with LEDs using a lower wattage lamp. That is how they used to trick new growers a few years back. Most of us know better now days. Pretty much why the standard for commercial grow operations is using HID lamps.

I have found LEDs work good when you have limited height constraints.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Operating cost with LED is less then running HID

9. Actually LED produce a lot of heat. People are wrong and when they say a led light does not produce heat. It produces a lot of heat.
    You need a lot more led to reproduce HID or MH.
    For starters and pros HID is the easiest way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. You need 55 watts per sq ft. LED need a few to make the same light as a HID or MH.

11. A tent 4x8 is 32 sq.ft multiple by 55 watts a sq ft and get 1,760 watts.
    So basically need a 1000 watt lamp of a shitload of led

• Like Like x 1
  12. My LED doesn't give off much heat at all

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cob based Grow Lights like Timber and others are very efficient and have great spectrums for us. Mostly COBs here now and all LEDs for three years and hps twice that in a past life. No comparison. Check @REALSTYLES on the lighting forum here or Growmau5 on YouTube for diy. Horticultural Lighting Group is another to check. I have bulbs and ballasts I would still be using if the LEDs were not so far superior. Cost is not nearly what it was only a year or two ago.

• Like Like x 4
  14. I think led is great for veg, but im still not convinced they work better than hps in flower. And saying they use less power is wrong too. My 400 watt 8 cob led uses 400 watts and does not even come close to out producing my 600w hps.

15. What kind of led do you have mine produce a lot of heat

16. The ballast are built in the casing so it has to give off heat. It's like the all in one ballast by sunsystems they produce so much heat.

17. it's largely dependent on LED manufacturer. some LEDs are a lot better than others. here is a video comparing 600w LED (actual wattage) to 1000w HPS.

spoiler: LED used less electricity/amps, ran much cooler (90* vs 180* @ bulb), removes need for AC/maxing exhaust fan, and beat the HPS in par rating @ 36 inches. HPS had max 410 PAR dead centre @ 36inches, the LED had 946 PAR. only thing is it had slightly worse coverage but if you raise the light a bit you'll get decent coverage and still better PAR.

• Like Like x 1
  18. here's the PAR comparison at 36" over a 4x4 area

led-vs-hps.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. There is a reason commercial growers don't use LEDs

• Like Like x 1