??HID Qestions?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by smokinagn19, Mar 8, 2006.

1. i have a 175watt HID that is about 8in long and 4 in wide (wont fit in a regular sized socket). I have the (ballast) w/the socket it came with and this big ass magnet lookin thing at the back behind the light, and a disc shaped JL-202 PHOTOCONTROLLER that plugs onto the outside of the metal ballast. so my question is what is the magnet lookin thing and what is the photocontroller and can i do without this stuff and just stick with the socket. probably stupid questions but you have to start someware.

2. Thats the Transformer coil, and yes you need everything mentioned.

3. hmmm it wont fit into a regular socket?..

4. ok its a transformer still dont know about the PHOTOCONTROLLER, but there are 2 wires, black and white, how would i go about wiring this ballast up to get it working. thanx

and yes it wont fit into a regular socket its to big

5. To Wire From wall to ballast and also from ballast to socket just go to the hardware store get a 12gauge hevey duty extention cord OR 2 dependeing how much lenghe you will need.
    Measure from male end to the length desired Cut and wire WHITE TO WHITE BLACK TO BLACK AND GREEN is the ground should be someplace on the ballast or ballast box for this.. the ballast to socket is exactly the same except you dont wire the ground...hope this helps... choke with ya later..

edit: Oh yeah if the photocontroler is what I think it is, It's just a sensor to turn the light on at dark..