HID lighting- Questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by This Bud, May 26, 2003.

1. I have just purchased a combination 1000 watt mh/1000 watt hps. This unit powers either the MH or the HPS. My question is, how high do you keep it from the plants. Any help will be appreciated

2. i have a 400w and i keep mine about 8 -10 inches with no heat problems.... probably about a foot for a 1000w i would think... just play around with it and hold ur hand by the closest leafs and if feels a bit hot then move it up a bit more.

3. I have 1000w HID and I keep mine 12-14inch, make sure you have your fans blowing over your plants so they don't get to hot. Keep a eye on the tops if you notice any burning then move them up, but at 12-14inch I havn't had a problem.

4. Another Way for you to test your light spot!!!

If you put your hand under the light bulb and it feels too hot for your hand its TOO close to the plant. If you can hold you hand there a few mins and it doesn't feel like your skin is being melted off with the heat from it then your plants will be ok!

5. I also hang a string from my shader 12' down from the light, that way there is no measuring all the time and I know that as long as my plants are below the light I'm ok

6. Thanks for the info, guys, it's well appreciated. I kind of knew, but, I just wanted to be sure. How long before you put seedlings under 1000 watt halide??