Hid light warning!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by oasisoz, Oct 6, 2012.

1. I feel this deserves to be posted...got a new 400watt mh/hps combo deal...everything was working fine till today...I noticed a burn smell coming off of the reflector bit couldn't figure out why...after some inspection I looked up at the reflector where the bulb is and this blue plastic had melted right off!!! Now for those using air cooled hoods this I imagine shouldn't be an issue...but for those like me that do not have air cooled hoods watch out! Make sure you peel off the plastic ...yes you lose some reflection but its better than starting a fire..I thought the ac in the room along with an oscillating fan would keep things cool and it is but the area right above the bulb gets hot not super hot but obviously just enough to cause the plastic to melt off...it took about a week for the plastic to melt off..hope this helps someone

Keep it green

2. Thank you for the warning. This should be stickied, could save someones house from burning down for real. Maybe submit that to the shop u got it at man just for safety . They might even compensate u but I doubt it unfortuantly. Shit man Id burn u down. ahhaha peace brotha

3. I can't see the unit, but if I'm not mistaken that blue plastic you're referring to is a scratch-resistant film that's usually applied to electronics and appliances to protect them until delivery to the consumer and should be removed before operation. I can't see a company that produces heat-emitting light putting a blue plastic cover on a reflector when it could have been painted or powder-coated instead, and I think there's quality control standards on electronics that are supposed to prevent things like that /:

• Like Like x 1

4. I know mate...there should have been a warning...I read every peice of information that came with the product and no where did it mention removing this plastic. My fault too...for not being more observant

Keep it green

5. If you read everything they gave you, then you fulfilled your responsibility as an owner. I tend to follow instructions carefully, so if I hadn't worked in a warehouse and seen that plastic before I would have left it on too unless told otherwise /:
    Most likely within the company the ones that design and test and write the warnings aren't the ones that pack and ship, so maybe contact them and suggest they print a warning directly on the plastic? Or at least provide a tag on one corner so it's obvious it's not part of the unit. If it's something concerning a possible fire hazard I'm sure they'll appreciate the feedback, and hopefully fix it so the next person doesn't go through the same thing
    =^x^=

6. Yeah...I emailed them so we'll see how it works out.

7. this is funny, I just read about this yesterday somewhere else, but it was an older post, a guy was trying to figure out why his HPS bulb was developing "brown goo" on it, it was the plastic protector melting and dripping on the bulb

8. your supposed to pull the blue plastic off lol

9. yea your supposed to pull it off to get the full reflectivity the instructions will tell you to pull it off also my apollo hood had it on it before i upgraded to air cooled hoods and they didnt have the plastic shipping stufff on them

10. #10 babyfarts mcgeezaks, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
    An experienced response for those searching....

Did this once with a 1000w hps and new wing......in a hurry. Bulb blanketed in blue burnt plastic. Dumbass stoner, lol. shIT happpens. After light cycle ended pulled lamp n Scraped from tip to tip with razor blade, without grinding, and used lamp for another year. My exp, tifwiw...... that glass is NOT fragile, lol

11. Due to thermal contraction/expansion I would do my best to avoid grooving the glass, however...

Sounds like you have better quality bulbs lol. My 400 watters usually break the first time I drop them! But seriously, they are cheap china ones and they have broken over less than that.