HID fixtures + ballasts question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by vtx, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Im a bit confused when it comes to HID lighting.

So when you use a MH bulb, can you just find a MH socket or do you need a full fixture? and you absolutely need a ballast... right?

same questions for HPS...

i guess what Im getting at, is what is the cheapest way to install a HID for growing.

2. Yeah bro, you most have a ballasts that matches the code ie. S58 or something along those lines. You're probably going to need a full fixture seeing as how most of them come already with a pre-made ballast. You can always go the DIY route and make your own ballast but I'm not sure how cost effecient it is.

The fixure I got for my MH lights costed 40.14$ USD and its comes with the fixture, premade ballast and even a light bulb. I'm using 2 70W MH lights for vegging then moving to HPS for flowering.

The same holds true for HPS, you must the correct ballast in order to run the bulb. Basically a ballast is just a transformer that gives the bulb enough of an initial charge to ignite the gases in the lamp.

Good luck Bro!
    -Kyung Yi

3. Where did you get that? All i can find is really expensive equipment.

4. Look at industrial parts sights. A lot fo times they'll have deals on factory exquip. and stuff like that. I would give you a link, but its a korean place so it wouldn't work. I suggest possibly findoug out where your local factory/foundry/plant gets their parts from. A lot of places will sell igh bay fixtures and stuff like that for fairly cheap. The bay fixture I was looking at was 137.00$ USD. A lot of times the MH and HPS lights will be under security or outdoor area lighting.
    Hope this helped!
    -Kyung Yi