Hey, that's poison... fluoride.. in your water

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Swills, May 15, 2011.

1. Why would the government poison it's own people

2. #42 UU_ood, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011
    The OP gives a very distorted view on water fluoridation. First of all, the Nazis did not fluoridate the water of anyone. At least there is no evidence of it. The only sites that claim this is true are conspiracy theory sites that provide no source.

Also, Germany may not use fluoridated water, but fluoridated salt is a big seller in Germany. They use the same health-benefits to sell the salt. Of course, this gives consumers a choice whether they'd like to intake fluoride or not.

Salt fluoridation in Germany since 1991. [Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed. 2005] - PubMed result

Equating Prozac to fluorine is very flawed. Prozac is about 10% fluorine. Chemically, it is a completely different structure. That's like calling water, oxygen, it is 89% oxygen by mass, so surely you must be able to breathe underwater, right? :rolleyes:

Fluoridated water began when studies showed that areas with higher concentrations of fluoride in the natural drinking water showed reduced cavities compared to areas with a low concentration (yes, in some areas the fluoride levels are naturally high). From the OP's own article, Fluoride has actually been used in rat poison because it is LESS harmful to humans who may accidentally swallow it:

Fluoride in Rat Poison | eHow.com

This method was deemed to be preferable to other poisonous compounds because it was less hazardous to the humans and livestock that might accidentally ingest it.

A systematic review that looks at several recent studies:

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/file/publications/synopses/Eh41_Flouridation_PART_A.pdf

The review concluded that water fluoridation:
    1. DOES increase the chance of fluorosis, however it is generally mild:

There is consistent Level III/IV evidence from existing systematic reviews that water fluoridation results in the development of dental fluorosis. However, the majority of dental fluorosis is mild and is not considered to be of ‘aesthetic concern’.

2. Does not increase the risk of cancer or bone fracture.

3. Other health risks are inconclusive. There have not been enough studies and not enough evidence to conclude other risks. This of course, should be worrisome.

3. what about fluoride being in multiple things we ingest or swish in our mouth in a single day? can that be hazardous?

4. It couldn't possibly have any sanitary benefits?

5. So that's why they put fluoride in Prozac, right? An ANTIDEPRESSANT? :rolleyes:

6. some classic conspiracy theorist logic at work here.

I drink tap water every day, and I use a dentist-prescribed toothpaste with a very high amount of fluoride in it. Every day. I'm not dead. I'm not depressed. The ONLY affect I've noticed? My teeth are healthier than they were before I started using the stuff. weeeiiiiiird.

7. Flouride is ok in small doses. People drink it, cook with it, and bathe in it, and have done this for over 50 years. Geniuses and dumbfucks both have drank it everyday since the day they were born. Our country isnt trying to kill us or make us poor&stupid with flouride. Thats gay as hell. The human body is an amazing thing. As the average age continues to get older with each generation, you cant help but believe were doing somthing right. They used to use lead based paint for everything and pack shit full of asbestos. Hell, i live in a house built in 1915 with asbestos insulation. I dont have mesotheleoma.

You really wanna talk about problems with our water? Cities will NOT, i repeat, WILL NOT replace any water pipes unless a main breaks. Do you know why these pipes break? Most water lines are old and made of metal. After years of flowing water, the h2o causes the pipe to rust. You can have a 24" diameter pipe with only a 3" diameter clearing inside for the water. Eventually all the pressure builds up and BOOM one hell of a problem. Now i know some metal sediments break off and flow down the water supply. I feel more unsafe drinking old, oxidized metals than drinking flouride.

8. If you want to make any impression whatsoever, you never link to news articles or blogs. You don't find your information on organization websites. You find primary science literature (and material from the 1960s or 1970s is far too outdated) that has been peer reviewed and published in a science journal.

Cut with the bullshit and sensationalism, get to the data.

9. For the whole Prozac thing... they don't just add fluoride to the drug, its is a substituent of it's chemical structure and therefore serves a completely different function much different from that of elemental fluorine.

It's for the same reason that you can swap a bunch of Chlorides in for -OH groups on a sugar and have it pass through your body completely unmodified (Splenda). Elemental chlorine is highly toxic, but a chloride's electronegativity stabilizes the molecule greatly and prevents it from breaking apart and/or engaging in in any sort of biochemical reaction whatsoever.

The Fluoride in Prozac serves a similar function - that is, the fluorine does not serve an actual purpose other than stabilizing a methyl-group to prevent degradation. The connection between Prozac, fluoride and tapwater is nonexistent. It is a bunch of nonsensical chemistry sensationalized for the gullible.

10. ^^^

Some good stuff right there.

11. According to many doctors and even the World Health Organization, drinking RO water or even worse, distilled or DI water can have long term negative health effects on the human body. Water with <75 TDS can seriously affect your intestinal track, and the lack or low level of minerals can cause other health problems, etc. Check this link and you be the judge, http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutdemineralized.pdf.

12. Everything in the world is bad for you now. :rolleyes: